Middle School Social Studies Teacher 2017-18
Lakeside School, an independent coeducational day school located in North Seattle, is currently recruiting for a part-time (.5 FTE) middle school history teacher for the 2017-18 school year. This position will begin in late August 2017.
The history teacher position, reporting to the Middle School History Department Head and the Middle School Director, will join a highly collaborative department. Specific responsibilities for this position include:
- Teach two sections of middle school history classes, which focus on preparing students to live in an interconnected world by developing in them an understanding of the past and its relationship to the world today. Our history classes teach students how to learn, evaluate, and interpret historical information, and to communicate their knowledge and ideas effectively;
- Provide academic support for students outside of class time (answering homework questions, providing extra writing help, etc.), as needed;
- Actively collaborate and participate in the work of the History Department on innovative curriculum development, pedagogy, and assessment;
- Attend history department, grade-level team and faculty meetings as scheduled;
- Act as an advisor for Middle School students; and
- Participate in the life of the school community which includes grade-level outings, service learning, outdoor trips, admissions events, and engagement with student life.
Requirements and Qualifications
A successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in history or a closely related field (Master’s degree is preferred);
- Minimum of three years’ experience teaching history, preferably to middle school students;
- A passion for interacting with middle school level students in and outside of the classroom;
- The desire to thrive in a highly collaborative work environment that values innovation and creativity;
- A sense of humor and a pitch-in, can-do attitude are highly desirable.
Candidates must be able to use technology to enhance the classroom experience and to use a range of literature and resources that represent diverse cultures, experiences and viewpoints. Additionally, candidates must satisfactorily complete two criminal history background checks.
Compensation and Benefits
Lakeside School is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding faculty candidates who will add to the racial, cultural, economic and gender diversity of our school community. We provide a competitive compensation package which includes, but is not limited to, a monthly salary, excellent health and welfare benefits, access to funds for professional development, housing down payment assistance program, and school-provided lunches. Additionally, Lakeside offers faculty and staff opportunities to participate in non-classroom teaching programs such as Global Service Learning, Summer School, coaching, etc., for extra compensation.
Lakeside School was founded in 1919, and currently enrolls 851 students in grades 5 through 12 from diverse ethnic, racial, religious, and economic backgrounds.
The School’s Mission and shared commitment of all Lakeside employees is to develop in intellectually capable young people the creative minds, healthy bodies, and ethical spirits to contribute wisdom, compassion, and leadership to a global society. We provide a rigorous, dynamic academic program through which effective educators lead students to take responsibility for learning. We are committed to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse cultures and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community and in the joy and importance of lifelong learning.
This position will require standing/sitting, walking to other parts of campus, and occasional travel.
Applicants should apply through the Lakeside School Web site (www.lakesideschool.org), and should submit a resumé and cover letter of interest. If this appointment will affect planned FTE assignments, a conversation with and approval of a current supervisor is required. Applications will be reviewed beginning February 6. Interviews with a small search committee will be scheduled during mid-late February and an appointment will be made by March 3.
Lakeside School is an equal opportunity employer seeking to diversify its workplace.