Science Department Head/Biology Teacher
School Setting: Blair Academy is a co-educational, grade 9-postgraduate boarding school situated on 460 hilltop acres just minutes from the Delaware Water Gap and approximately one hour west of New York City. The school is 80 percent boarding, possesses exceptional facilities and faculty housing, and is committed to the continuing education of the faculty. Learn more about our campus and programs at the School’s website at www.blair.edu.
Position Available: Blair Academy announces an opening for an experienced Biology teacher who may serve as the Science Department Head. Blair actively seeks candidates who are members of traditionally underrepresented groups, especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, religious, ethnic and socioeconomic background. We are searching for an enthusiastic, student-centered, collegial and mature teacher who will be responsible for ensuring that our science teaching is cohesive, inquiry-based and appropriately challenging across our four-year sequence.
The strongest applicants will have the following qualifications:
- At least five years of high school teaching experience
- Significant teaching experience in more than one Science discipline, including Biology
- Demonstrated success with project-based, inquiry-based, and interdisciplinary approaches.
- A passion for teaching students at all levels, from freshman classes through Advanced Placement
- An advanced degree in Biology or a related field, or an M. Ed. with a B.A. in Biology
- Interest and experience integrating technology, design thinking, and engineering
- A desire and vision for improving science instruction and for advancing STEAM education
- Prior experience in a leadership role
Typical job responsibilities include:
- Fulfilling the role of department head for up to three years as determined by the Dean of Faculty in consultation with the Head of School. A department head’s term may be renewed or extended at the discretion of the Dean of Faculty
- Teaching 3 sections each semester
- Coaching or assisting with a sport for two seasons or with activities for three seasons
- Advising a group of 6 to 8 students
- Providing weekly supervision for boarding students
How to Apply: Résumé, letter of interest, transcripts (which may be unofficial) and 2-3 letters of recommendation should be emailed to Maria Bowditch, Director of Faculty Hiring, firstname.lastname@example.org, or sent to P. O. Box 600, Blairstown, NJ 07825-0600.
Blair Academy, in the treatment of employees and applicants for employment, is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and