Employment Term: Full Time with an initial 20% teaching component
Start Date: August, 2017 or such other date set by the College in consultation with you.
Founded in 1829, Upper Canada College is a leading independent school for boys SK- Grade 12, located in the heart of Toronto. The College presents a thorough academic program and broad co-curricular opportunities to engage students and teachers. Our students are motivated and very supported by a well-resourced, exceptional faculty, who bring a diversity of life experience to an exemplary professional learning community.
Overview of the Position:
UCC has taken the strategic decision to implement the Middle Years Programme (MYP) resulting in the need for an MYP Coordinator. This role would be responsible for the development and implementation of the IB Middle Years Program at Grades 6 through 10. Reporting to the Academic Dean, the MYP Coordinator is a member of the school’s pedagogical leadership team and works closely with faculty in developing curriculum, pedagogy and learning in line with the values of Upper Canada College and the International Baccalaureate Organization (IB).
The role is expected to manage the implementation needs of the MYP, including its documentation, resources and compliance procedures. A key feature of this role will be the interaction and communication with faculty in relation to curriculum content, documentation, assessment, reporting and teaching methodologies. This position works closely with key stakeholders, such as Division Heads, Heads of Department etc. to support effective delivery of the MYP. The MYP Coordinator will also collaborate in the development and implementation of College-wide approaches to the curriculum as appropriate to support the alignment of program delivery and enhance student learning across the College.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work directly with Academic Dean and members of the MYP Project Team to lead implementation of the MYP and ensure milestones are met through candidacy and achievement of MYP authorization;
- Oversee ongoing curriculum review and development in line with IB requirements;
- Develop and maintain a network of professional relationships with MYP coordinators at other IB schools;
- Works collaboratively with coordinators of the PYP and the DP and contributes proactively to the broader leadership, planning and alignment of the UCC IB Program ensuring a consistent and coherent continuum of high quality of teaching and learning at UCC from SK through Grade 12;
- Represent UCC with outside professional networks and organizations, including IB Schools of Ontario.
- Monitor program and compliance with IB and Ministry of Education standards and practices;
- Manage the preparation and submission of all relevant documentation for processes such as authorization and evaluation of MYP as well as related fee payments;
- Assist the Academic Dean in determining appropriate resource support, teacher development and future budgetary requirements for program delivery.
Curriculum (Written, Taught, Assessed)
- Lead the development of written curriculum across grades 6-10 ensuring alignment with IB expectations and documentation of Ministry of Education requirements;
- Ensure ongoing review, currency and completeness of all curriculum documentation, including scope and sequence documents and unit maps for all subject groups in collaboration with department chairs;
- Champion and ensure appropriate integration of the requirements of the IB Learner Profile, Approaches to Learning, Approaches to Teaching, Interdisciplinary units of study and Global Contexts into the teaching and learning practices of all subject groups;
- Working in collaboration with teams, develop and oversee the implementation of assessment, recording and reporting policies, processes and standards.
PD, Coaching and Mentoring
- Develop and deliver a program of in-house MYP training and identify relevant external MYP workshops for faculty;
- Monitor professional development requirements of MYP and make recommendations regarding PD for division faculty and individual subject groups;
- Ensure that all relevant MYP and general IB information is available to faculty in a timely manner;
- Coordinate MYP workshop/professional development requests and ensure records of attendance are maintained.
- Effectively communicate the MYP to the UCC community (faculty, students, and parents) in a variety of ways;
- Assist in preparing and updating the school’s MYP communications, both print and online;
- Act as a liaison with the IBO on all aspects of the Middle Years Program, ensuring the school meets all IBO requirements and deadlines.
- Use curriculum mapping information to determine and support collaborative planning priorities;
- Organize and facilitate faculty collaborative planning sessions;
- Work closely with pedagogical leadership team and teachers to enhance student learning and support delivery of the MYP
- Teaching responsibilities as assigned by the Academic Dean.