Employment Term: Full Time with a 40% teaching component
Start Date: August 2017, or such other date set by the College in consultation with you.
Founded in 1829, Upper Canada College is a leading independent school for boys SK- Grade 12, located in the heart of Toronto. The College presents a thorough academic program and broad co-curricular opportunities to engage students and teachers. Our students are motivated and very supported by a well-resourced, exceptional faculty, who bring a diversity of life experience to an exemplary professional learning community.
Overview of the Position:
The DP Coordinator is responsible for the development and implementation of the IB Diploma Program at Grades 11 and 12. Reporting to the Academic Dean, the DP Coordinator is a member of the school’s pedagogical leadership team and works closely with faculty in developing curriculum, pedagogy and learning in line with the values of Upper Canada College and the International Baccalaureate Organization (IB).
The role is expected to manage the implementation needs of the DP, including its documentation, resources and compliance procedures. A key feature of this role will be the interaction and communication with faculty in relation to curriculum content, documentation, assessment, reporting and teaching methodologies. This position works closely with key stakeholders, including Division Heads, Heads of Department, etc. to support effective delivery of the DP. The DP Coordinator will also collaborate in the development and implementation of College-wide approaches to the curriculum as appropriate to support the alignment of program delivery and enhance student learning across the College.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work directly with Academic Dean to lead implementation of the DP;
- Lead engagement with central elements of the DP such as the Learner Profile and Extended Essay;
- Oversee ongoing curriculum review and development in line with IB requirements;
- Develop and maintain a network of professional relationships with DP coordinators at other IB schools;
- Works collaboratively with coordinators of the PYP and the MYP and contributes proactively to the broader leadership, planning and alignment of the UCC IB Program ensuring a consistent and coherent continuum of high quality of teaching and learning at UCC from SK through Grade 12;
- Represent UCC with outside professional networks and organizations, including IB Schools of Ontario.
- Monitor program and compliance with IB and Ministry of Education standards and practices;
- Manage the preparation and submission of all relevant documentation for IB processes, e.g. program self-study and evaluation;
- Ensure all IB reporting timelines and deadlines, including fee payment schedules, mailing of work for external assessment and moderation, etc., are adhered to;
- Manage student registration and records in IBIS (MySchool) and ensure school information and data is kept up to date;
- Assist the Academic Dean in determining appropriate resource support, teacher development and future budgetary requirements for program delivery;
Curriculum (Written, Taught, Assessed)
- Lead the development of written curriculum across grades 11-12 ensuring alignment with IB expectations and documentation of Ministry of Education requirements;
- Ensure the ongoing review, currency and completeness of curriculum documentation; support scope and sequence documentation and curriculum planning process for all subject groups in collaboration with department chairs;
- Champion and ensure appropriate integration of the key requirements, including the IB Learner Profile, the Approaches to Learning, Approaches to Teaching (inquiry, differentiation, etc.) and Theory of Knowledge in teaching and learning practices of all subject groups;
- Working in collaboration with teams, develop and oversee the implementation of assessment, recording and reporting policies, processes and standards;
- Maintain assessment calendars and manages student workload in Grades 11-12;
- Lead the review/analysis of and reports on final IB Diploma results annually.
PD, Coaching and Mentoring
- Develop and deliver a program of in-house DP training and identify relevant external DP workshops for faculty;
- Monitor professional development requirements of DP and make recommendations regarding PD for whole-school faculty and individual subject groups;
- Ensure that all relevant DP and general IB information is available to faculty in a timely manner;
- Coordinate DP workshop/professional development requests and ensure records of attendance are maintained;
- Provide support and guidance to DP faculty.
- Effectively communicate the DP to the UCC community (faculty, students, and parents) in a variety of ways;
- Assist in preparing and updating the school’s DP communications, both print and online;
- Act as a liaison with the IBO on all aspects of the Diploma Years Program, ensuring the school meets all IBO requirements and deadlines.
- Use curriculum mapping information to determine and support collaborative planning priorities;
- Organize and facilitate faculty collaborative planning sessions;
- Work closely with pedagogical leadership team and teachers to enhance student learning and support delivery of the DP.
Extended Essay Coordination
- Organize and implement the EE component of the DP, including:
- Fostering student interest;
- Ensuring successful preparation and completion;
- Supporting EE supervisors;
- Communicating with parents, students and faculty regarding process, etc.
- Lead ongoing review and refinement of the process to support optimal learning of students;
- Counsel and advise students on EE choices.
- Teaching responsibilities as assigned by the Academic Dean.