Convent of the Sacred Heart is an independent, Catholic day school for girls from kindergarten through grade 12 with a coed preschool and prekindergarten. Founded in 1848, Sacred Heart Greenwich is one of twenty-four Sacred Heart network schools in North America and more than 140 worldwide. Our 730 students carry on the Sacred Heart tradition of academic excellence and development of the mind, body and spirit on our beautiful118-acre campus in Greenwich, Connecticut. We are currently seeking a Middle School history teacher for the 2017-2018 school year.
Position: Middle School History Teacher
Reports to: Head of Middle School
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Middle School history teacher is responsible for providing a stimulating and developmentally appropriate educational environment in a way that is in accordance with the Goals and Criteria of a Sacred Heart education and the philosophy that implements it. This philosophy includes providing children opportunities to develop spiritual, cognitive, social, emotional, and physical skills.
• Teach 4 sections of middle school history concentrating on the social, cultural, political and technological changes from the fifth through seventeenth century. Content includes the fall of the Roman Empire, the rise of Islam, West African empires, the Middle Ages in Europe, the Renaissance, the Reformation and the Scientific Revolution;
• Serve as an advisor to a group of Middle School students;
• Organize and provide developmentally appropriate educational programs and instruction; plan and implement curriculum and differentiated instruction for Middle School students;
• Provide activities and opportunities that encourage curiosity, exploration, innovation, problem-solving, and the use of technology appropriate to the developmental levels and learning styles of students;
• Create a supportive and caring classroom environment in which students can learn and interact positively with one another; through student-centered instruction, collaboration and authentic assessment;
• Maintain an open and cooperative relationship with students, colleagues and parents;
• Contribute to the life of the School outside the classroom;
• Participate in Middle School faculty and departmental meetings and perform various faculty supervisory duties.