Middle School Spanish Teacher
East Bay School for Boys--an independent middle school for boys in Berkeley, CA--is looking for a full-time faculty member to teach Spanish for the 2017/2018 school year. The ideal candidate:
- has experience teaching middle school or high school Spanish;
- is passionate and knowledgeable about integrating language and culture with other disciplines;
- has the ability to weave current social issues and equity and social justice themes relevant to our students' lives into the curriculum;
- can implement appropriate differentiated instruction for a range of learners and Spanish speakers from beginners to those who come to our school having had immersion or speak Spanish at home;
- facilitates active, project-based learning and is willing to utilize design thinking and building as it relates to our Work program;
- can prepare EBSB students for high school Spanish by exposing them to Spanish language, culture, vocabulary and basic skills for learning a new language;
- has a strong and skillful approach to classroom management working with students from a variety of educational backgrounds and different learning styles; and
- is a team player and will work collaboratively with our faculty and staff to model and embody our school’s mission and vision;
- is excited to take on additional school duties including leading an advisory group, supervising lunches and contributing to the school community in a variety of ways.
EBSB faculty are passionate leaders and learners dedicated to creating a community with a shared goal of building capacity in all of our boys; of helping to develop each boy's cultural capital; of creating a safe, creative and exciting classroom and school environment; and of providing a stellar academic, physical and social/emotional experience for young men.
EBSB faculty play a significant part in creating the culture of the school. Their voices are important in finding and solving problems, in the design and implementation of the curriculum, and in creating innovative and sustainable programs. East Bay School for Boys recruits faculty from a variety of sources and seeks individuals who are well- suited to work with boys, who would enjoy a collaborative working environment, and who reflect the diversity within the school and of the East Bay. EBSB faculty explore together in collaboration to nurture an environment that fosters trust, collective purpose, communication, healthy conflict, and shared accountability.
When hiring faculty, East Bay School for Boys seeks individuals who are experienced in working with middle school students; who can make learning irresistible through challenge, a well-structured classroom, differentiation and a variety of teaching/learning modalities; who love teaching and working with boys; who are passionate about their subject area(s) and learning new things; who are eager to work in an interdisciplinary and collaborative environment; who are creative and have good organizational, project-management, and communication skills; who are willing to assume a variety of roles within the school including academic and social/emotional advising and coaching; who are creative, flexible and resilient educators; who make great role models for adolescent boys; and who have a sense of humor.
East Bay School for Boys, an independent middle school (grades 6-8), is an academically challenging and active environment: built for boys and with boys. We provide opportunities for boys to design, build, nurture, and grow their world, empowering boys to affect, connect, reflect, and most importantly, love to learn. We also focus on the boys social and emotional experience by creating a space where boys have positive male role models and are taught how to, and encouraged to be, the great men of tomorrow: engaged, thoughtful, and courageous.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to Dana Rosenberg, at email@example.com.