Director of Health Services
Brooklyn Friends School seeks applicants for the position of Diretcor of Health Services. All Brooklyn Friends School employees are expected to be active community members, sharing general support and care of the school community. For job description, see below.
Interested applicants should submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Description: Director of Health Services
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Employment: Full Time
General Responsibilities and Activities:
- Serve as the administrative lead for all activities of the BFS Department of Health Services. This primarily includes the provision clinical nursing services provided in the pre, lower, middle and upper schools and those in concert with the Athletic Training office.
- Coordinate with the activities of the school guidance department
- Establish, annually review and revise, and monitor compliance with all health and safety related protocols.
- Will work collaboratively with the Physician Advisor, obtaining necessary approvals for medical protocols and prescriptions for bulk stock as well as any other issue requiring a Licensed Independent Practitioner’s action under New York statute.
- Other Duties as assigned
- Act as Head Nurse for the entire school with special emphasis on services for Pre-School, Lower School and Middle School
- Monitor and ensure compliance in all laws and regulations covering health issues at this independent school
- Interface with parents, staff, and administration regarding all aspects of student health issues
- Maintain all health records for students required by New York State Department of Health and the New York State Department of Education and as recommended by relevant School Nursing Professional societies; including vaccination and medical histories, evidence of annual physician evaluation, medication or other treatment plans, dietary and mental health concerns and accommodations. In addition field trip permissions, accident reports, reports or referral to hospital or physician, and other administrative records in electronic format or paper as directed by school policy and relevant statute.
- Provide administrative leadership over all nursing staff; ensure all nursing staff have up to date New York State nursing licenses and registrations, have requisite CPR training, and have documentation of additional training in the provision of epinephrine, Narcan, glucagon, albuterol and other such medications governed under non-patient specific standing orders. Ensure requisite child abuse and infection control training certificates are maintained for all nursing staff.
- In addition to having the responsibility of being a legally mandated reporter of potential child protection issues, the Director of Health Services will coordinate the response to such concerns with the Physician Advisor, relevant Head of School, and the Headmaster or designee
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- R.N. or advanced nursing degree
- School nurse experience in an independent school with supervisory experience
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with all school constituencies including students, faculty, staff, and parents
- Demonstrate the highest level of professional integrity
- Ability to multitask and remain accurate and organized
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and Senior Systems or similar software.
- Ability to organize work and set priorities to meet changing deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with all constituents, including students, parents, faculty, and administrators
- Possess the open and collaborative style characteristic of a team player.