The Berkeley Preparatory School, an outstanding independent coeducational day school in Tampa, Florida, places an emphasis on academic excellence with a spirit of social responsibility. Berkeley educates the whole child by nurturing students’ intellectual, emotional, spiritual and physical development so that they may attain their highest potential. Berkeley has built a national reputation for academic rigor at the country’s most prestigious universities. The school’s active Episcopal affiliation focuses on inclusivity, support, respect, and the shared values reflected in Berkeley’s vision statement, Berkeley puts people in the world who make a positive difference.
Berkeley seeks to add an Academic Dean: Grades 9-10 for the 2017-18 school year. The 9th and 10th Grade Academic Dean is an integral member of the Upper Division academic leadership team. Working closely with students, faculty members and parents, he or she is the academic 'overseer' of 50-60 students in both the 9th and 10th grade classes respectively (for a total case load of about 100 students). Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Advise individual students on course selection, study techniques, time management, and general counseling
- Manage parental expectations while serving as a liaison and advocate for the parent-school partnership
- Facilitate communication between faculty and individual families, including matters of student academic planning and performance
- Attend the weekly lunch meeting of the counseling team (deans of students, academic deans, college counselors, personal counselor and assistant director)
- Work in close collaboration with the other 2 Grade 9-10 Academic Deans
- Play a key role (with others) in helping ensure that each student is known, nurtured, and well and that no student 'falls through the cracks'
- Support the transition of new 9th and 10th grade students and families into the upper division community
- Serve as advisor to the 9th and 10th grades classes and work closely with class officers to complete projects, facilitate communication to students, and run class meetings
* teach one academic class
Located on a gorgeous 80-acre campus, Berkeley serves 1,300 students in Grades PK-12. The school continues to experience strong interest and full enrollment, and is marked with a very strong positive school culture. On-going professional development is encouraged and members of the faculty routinely present at regional and national education conferences. The Tampa Bay region is home to thriving metropolitan communities and ample natural resources; residents enjoy affordable living costs, an abundant workforce, and outstanding cultural amenities. We are seeking candidates eager to work in a culturally and ethnically diverse environment.
This position will have an August 2017 start date. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Mrs. Heather Connolly, Hiring Manager, at email@example.com