The Upper School Math Teacher instructs 9th through 12th grade students in courses ranging from Algebra I through AP Calculus BC or AP Statistics in accordance with the content and objectives of the curriculum prescribed by the Upper School division. The successful candidate will:
- Evidence enthusiasm for mathematics and for encouraging students to grow in knowledge and understanding of the subject,
- Supervise students in numerous activities and circumstances at the School and at functions sponsored by the School, and
- Demonstrate a commitment to the well-being of all Porter-Gaud students and to the best interests of the School as a whole.
- Work with students to develop a love for learning, a sense of academic integrity, and a thoughtful work ethic.
- Appreciate and enjoy interacting with adolescents and partnering with families in the student's academic development.
- Inspire a love of and appreciation for mathematics in our students.
- Participate as an active and positive team member within the Math Department, the Upper School faculty, and the School community as a whole.
- Instruct students in five mathematics classes in accordance with curriculum requirements and objectives, making effective use of technology, textbooks, and other instructional materials as appropriate.
- Establish and actively maintain a class environment where excellence in learning is honored and respectful interactions between and among students are valued.
- Create and design interactive lessons plans, employing a variety of instructional techniques and assessments, which meet the needs of a diverse learning community.
- Collaborate with other math department members to instill a community of reflective, talented, and thoughtful people who are passionate about their work as teachers.
- Co-sponsor our upper school math team with another member of the math department, which will require supervision at mathematics competitions outside of the normal school day.
- Professional, organized, self-motivated, and punctual.
- Strong communication skills.
- The candidate will display strong interpersonal skills and maintain a healthy sense of humor.
Reporting: The Math Department Chair/Teacher will report directly to the Principal of the Upper School.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Please choose one method of application.
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail cover letter and resume to:
Upper School Math Teacher Position
300 Albemarle Road
Charleston, South Carolina 29407
Porter-Gaud School is committed to increasing the racial, ethnic, and religious diversity of our faculty and staff. The School welcomes applicants who would bring additional dimensions to the School's teaching mission. In accordance with law, Porter-Gaud School is an equal opportunity employer and hires without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex/gender, age, or disability.