Teachers at St. Paul’s School are passionate, innovative, and dedicated members of the St. Paul’s community who embrace the unique philosophy and traditions of the School while always striving for excellence. Teachers are committed to individual and professional growth, value and respect every member of the community, and are devoted to helping students achieve success. Teachers demonstrate commitment to the mission and values of St. Paul’s School.
The highly effective St. Paul’s Middle School Teacher demonstrates:
- Flexible warmth: a genuine kindness, thoughtfulness, and growth mindset of “we can do this”Self-awareness and integrity: the understanding of your authentic self and the inclination and desire to do the right thing with honesty and discernment
- An ethic of ownership and accountability: models ownership of and holds oneself accountable for decisions, mistakes and successes
- An ethic of craftsmanship: working on a task with a high level of care and focus because you want to get it right (Ron Berger’s Ethic of Excellence); knowing that mistakes are part of building a culture of excellence
- Innovation: creatively combining the best tried and true pedagogies with new ones to best equitably serve the success of each boy
The highly effective St. Paul’s middle school teacher:
- Makes learning irresistible through challenge in a well-structured and differentiated classroom
- Communicates effectively with students, parents, colleagues, and administrators.
- Loves teaching and working with middle school boys
- Is himself/herself a lifelong learner passionate about his/her discipline
- Is eager to work in an interdisciplinary and collaborative environment
- Demonstrates flexibility, resilience, and humor
- Serves as a great role model for adolescent boys
- Consistently seeks feedback and demonstrates a growth mindset
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Four classes, homeroom advisor, and two extra-curricular activities or the equivalent represents a full time teaching status.
Applicants must have a background in and the ability to relate the relevance and application of math concepts (5th grade – Algebra 1) to adolescent boys. In addition to a passion for the education of middle school boys, an ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, energetic, and willing to teach as a member of a grade level academic team. S/he will also be an advisor to a group of middle school students as well as leading or assisting in an extracurricular activity or sport. The middle school math teacher will work collaboratively with the Lower and Upper School math teachers, as well as with other members of the Middle School faculty.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree required. A Master’s degree is preferred. Certification in mathematics grades K-8 is not required, but a consideration in selection. Candidates must have excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work independently in dealing with the diverse elements of the academic environment. The individual must be capable of managing students in a variety of settings and situations and be actively engaged in the classroom and assigned duty activities. This position requires confidentiality and professionalism. Proficiency in Microsoft Office is preferred.