The St. Paul’s Schools are pleased to announce an opening for a Director of Safety and Security.
The St. Paul’s Schools offer something unique. Our community provides coeducational and single gender opportunities to cultivate student growth and academic achievement. From cradle to college, we empower boys and girls of all ages to learn in the ways that suit them best. Set on a stunning 125-acre campus, our three schools, St. Paul’s Plus Preschool, St. Paul’s School and St. Paul’s School for Girls, are dedicated to the individual journeys and experiences of our students, ages six weeks through grade 12. We strive to graduate students who are citizens with a strong sense of self and empowered with the skills, spirit and independence to inspire, innovate, and contribute to the betterment of the global world.
In this joint role for all three Schools, the primary responsibility of this position is to manage campus safety and security services for the academic, athletic and auxiliary programs on our campus. This candidate will oversee the implementation and improvement of security and safety plans including security procedures, protocols, and training programs. Candidate must be skilled at balancing the need for safety and security, while serving as a welcome presence on our campus.
- Work with the Schools’ administrative teams to develop, review and update all safety and security plans, policies, practices, and procedures, including but not limited to fire safety, emergency evacuation, lock-downs, medical emergencies, and traffic control as it relates to each Schools’ missions
- Stay current with local and national trends and in communication with the Directors of Safety and Security at other local independent schools regarding needs and resources for campus safety and security. Based on trends and needs, make recommendations to each School’s administrative team
- Work with various constituencies including Directors of Facilities, Athletic Directors, Directors of Auxiliary Programs, Development and Admissions teams, Division Heads and Executive Director at St. Paul’s Plus to ensure safety and security coverage and plans are in effect for campus activities
- Plan and schedule fire drills, emergency evacuation drills, and lock-down drills coordinated between all three Schools and maintain records and emergency operating plan
- Conduct all training for faculty, staff, and students on all safety and security procedures and policies
- Develops appropriate staffing including St. Paul’s Schools’ staff and contracted security personnel where needed for campus activities
- Recruit, train, schedule and supervise security personnel
- Work with Heads of School in investigation of suspicious behavior and appropriate response
- Work with Directors of Human Resources with regard to background checks
- Conduct investigations for criminal activity, accidents, and safety and security issues
- On call for emergency situations, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- Attend each School’s calendar meetings to coordinate staffing for all school events
- Oversees patrol of buildings and campus grounds, including periodic weekend and evening site inspections
- Remains alert for the presence of unauthorized persons; may confront and deter suspicious or criminal activity on campus
- Serves as a positive ambassador and way-finder for visitors and community members on campus
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in law enforcement or related field
- 5-7 years of managerial law enforcement or security management experience
- Experience working in a school setting as a security or safety liaison officer is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communicator with the ability to communicate in an instructive and courteous manner
- Strong technology skills, including experience with Microsoft Office
- Effective leadership skills, including managing multiple people and/or contracted personnel
- Must be reliable, timely and responsive
- Have the ability to take command and navigate in an emergency situation
- Candidate must be physically able to patrol the campus and to respond quickly and appropriately in an emergency situation
- Demonstrate independent thinking and exercise good judgment
The Director of Safety and Security will report to the Chief Financial Officers at St. Paul’s School and St. Paul’s School for Girls. This is a 12-month, salaried exempt position.
Interested candidates can send their cover letter, resume and list of references to Shannon Duckett, Human Resources Director, at email@example.com. The St. Paul’s Schools are equal opportunity employers.