The Director of Finance will be a strategic thought-partner, and report to the Head of School. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will support the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, maintenance and technology.
Under supervision of the Head of School, the finance director has the responsibility to provide sound fiscal management in the operation of all financial matters, including the development and management of the school budget, the borrowing and investing of money, and the management of accounts receivable and payable. The director is responsible for managing the financial and physical resources of the school.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Finance will:
- Develop and oversee financial policies, procedures, and internal controls to safeguard assets, protect confidential information, and ensure accurate financial reporting.
- Oversee school business functions, including: tuition billing and collection, accounts payable, contracting, payroll, human resources, accounting and reporting, regulatory reporting and compliance, and other business administration activities.
- Oversee the maintenance of the buildings, grounds and equipment.
- Administer the annual budget and multi-year forecasting process to align with the school’s goals and mission and maintain account records related to the school’s budget.
- Provide financial reports to school leadership and the Board of Trustees.
- Participate in the development of school strategy, providing recommendations, financial analysis, projections, and other data to inform the process.
- Collaborate with and assist the Head of School and the Board of Trustees in meeting fiduciary responsibilities.
- Understand the culture and climate of the school and the wider educational environment.
- Manage, mentor, and develop direct reports, providing constructive and timely feedback.
- Model and foster high ethical standards, integrity, and respect for colleagues, alumnae, parents and students in the conduct of the school’s business.
- Ensure that human resources policies and practices are clearly articulated, consistently applied and conform to legal requirements.
- Remain current with business management trends and cultivate professional standards and development by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in local, regional and national professional organizations.