Summary: The teacher is the educational leader in the classroom and will ensure the curriculum is implemented in a way that maximizes student-learning experiences and supports the Dawson Mission, Vision, Core Beliefs and Diversity Statement. The teacher is responsible for the supervision and evaluation of all students within his/her teaching assignment. Working collaboratively with a team of educational professionals, the teacher will demonstrate a strong commitment to social emotional learning, differentiated instruction, and an ongoing love of learning.
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited, to:
- Supports and values social emotional learning
- Creates a dynamic and engaging classroom environment
- Redirects students by maintaining mutual respect and dignity
- Interacts with students by making genuine connections and demonstrating warmth, care and respect
- Conveys high expectations for student achievement through instructional goals and activities, interactions and classroom environment
- Maintains a learning environment where student voice is encouraged and valued
- Establishes effective classroom routines and maximizes instructional times
- Involves students in the development of classroom norms
- Creates a safe, well-organized classroom environment that reflects student ownership
- Exhibits the philosophy that process has as much value as product
- Demonstrates an awareness and is responsive to student needs and behavior
Planning and Instruction
- Uses high-impact strategies rooted in the School’s Mission and effectively engages students
- Asks questions that require higher-order thinking
- Communicates focus and purpose of lessons with students in written and/or oral form
- Presents activities in a logical and meaningful order
- Exhibits student work in process of development and final product
- Engages students in the development of learning outcomes
- Provides feedback and coaching to students that is timely, specific, realistic, relevant and encourages goal setting
- Modifies lessons based on student needs
- Assigns meaningful and purposeful homework
- Utilizes multiple grouping strategies - such as a balance of individual, small group and whole-class activities - in teaching and planning
- Provides opportunities for the application and transfer of students’ knowledge and skills
- Uses technology to create student experiences that have transformative impacts on learning (SAMR)
- Designs authentic assessments and performance tasks to measure student learning
- Uses data to make informed curricular and instructional decisions
- Attends and actively engages in divisional and school-wide meetings
- Critically reflects on teaching and learning
- Maintains an effective system for recording student progress where outcomes are continually monitored and assessed
- Communicates with families in professional, caring and timely ways
- Maintains positive and caring relationships with families, communicates regularly about student progress and is responsive to concerns
- Adaptability – Able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events; able to balance the demands of a robust teaching schedule
- Communication –Written and oral communication is clear, concise and professional; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions
- Confidentiality – Maintains confidential information
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional parent situations; responds promptly to family needs
- Dependability – Keeps commitments
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; works ethically and with integrity; upholds organizational values
- Judgment – Exhibits sound and accurate judgment
- Mindset - Presumes positive intentions and approaches challenges with a growth mindset
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently
- Problem Solving – Uses reason, even when dealing with emotional topics
- Professionalism – Treats others with respect and consideration, regardless of their status or position
- Professional Development - Seeks opportunities for professional development to enhance content knowledge and pedagogical skill
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions
- Strategic Thinking – Identifies external threats and opportunities
- Teamwork - Prioritizes team over individual; maintains an open mind and collaborates in team, departmental, and divisional decisions to ensure that all students succeed
- Time Management – Stays focused and engaged during the completion of time-sensitive tasks; appropriately paces lessons to optimize student learning
The Alexander Dawson School's Mission, Vision & Values:
The Alexander Dawson School at Rainbow Mountain is a nurturing learning community for boys and girls in preschool through grade eight that challenges students to achieve excellence in mind, body and character.
Our graduates will be ready to achieve their individual potential, savor life and meet the challenges of the world.
Entrepreneur G.B. (Jerry) Henderson's vision and philanthropy are the cornerstones of The Alexander Dawson Schools. A lifelong learner, Mr. Henderson was fascinated by technology, education and innovation. He was dedicated to providing students with the highest quality education. Dawson's Core Beliefs are a reflection of Mr. Henderson's legacy.
Teaching & Learning
- Dawson graduates are complex problem solvers and collaborators; empathetic, flexible and innovative; and critical thinkers who develop into resilient lifelong learners and leaders.
- Through choice and reflection, Dawson students are active agents and advocates for their learning experience.
- A Dawson education facilitates deeper learning because students approach tasks from multiple perspectives, and draw connections across disciplines and the outside world.
- Within collaboration and healthy competition, students find value in both successes and failures.
- Teachers best engage and motivate students through encouragement, nurturing, inspiration and inquiry.
- We recognize that students learn at different paces and in different ways, and we differentiate instruction accordingly.
- We continually reevaluate the curriculum for relevance, current methodologies, quality of intellectual content and intrinsic interest.
- We are a true learning community. Dawson's faculty and administrators model lifelong learning by investing in educational best practices, advances in technology and relevant world development.
The Dawson Community
- We choose to be a part of the Dawson community because we share in the vision and values of the Dawson educational experience.
- We find strength in our diversity and commit to learning from each other.
- Although families are the primary educators of their children, student achievement throughout life is increased when the School and families work together as partners.
- Each of us is a model for the rest of us; each of us interacts with integrity and cares for the rest of us.
- With an appreciation of the sacrifices others have made for freedom and social justice, our students learn what it means to be engaged and contributing global citizens. Our students commit themselves to the responsibility of being agents of positive change.
- Global citizens investigate root causes, analyze solutions, connect with people in need and become empowered activists in the problem-solving process.
- As members of the desert environment, we strive to foster an awareness of and responsibility for preservation and sustainability of our natural resources.
The distinct Dawson learning environment is reflective of the diverse community that surrounds us. The celebration of differences drives the Dawson mission and unifies the school-wide focus of self and social awareness. Students benefit from working with and learning from other students and teachers who are varied in learning styles, socioeconomic backgrounds, race, religions, ideology, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, culture and ethnicity. We are committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming learning community.