Summary: The Alexander Dawson School at Rainbow Mountain a co-educational independent school, with approximately 520 students in grades Pre-school through eight, is seeking a Dean of Student Life and Diversity to establish and lead a cohesive K-8 program. Located in beautiful Summerlin, near the entrance to Red Rock Natural Preserve and about 20 minutes from downtown Las Vegas, Alexander Dawson’s education reflects its Core Beliefs. The Dean of Student Life and Diversity is the point person and is responsible for all issues relating to the many non-academic functions that happen at school. The Dean of Student Life and Diversity will work and participate collaboratively with faculty and staff to promote the wellbeing of the school community in a way that fosters the integration, teaching and learning of the Alexander Dawson Core Beliefs, Mission and Vision and Diversity Statement. That includes but is not limited to clear and consistent communication with parents; visibility across all grades and participation at extracurricular events and school trips; collaboration with the Alexander Dawson Advancement Office to meet prospective families and to further advance the school’s mission; collaboration with the Alexander Dawson Athletic Director to ensure that calendaring on campus is done in a way to maximize student opportunities.
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Together with members of the Leadership Team, develop a vision for the Student Life programs that is reflective of Alexander Dawson’s Core Beliefs, Mission, Vision and Diversity Statement
- Design and implement programs and initiatives that are inclusive of diverse student backgrounds
- Coach students when necessary, collaborating closely with the respective advisors, counselors, and others as initial support for students
- Proactively build communication and connections with Dawson families, maintaining specific awareness of the needs of underrepresented groups within the community
- Present and participate at Alexander Dawson’s Parent University, staff training, Teacher Academy and other functions and events as appropriate
- Collaborate with teaching faculty on lessons that integrate the Core Beliefs and diversity
- Develop personalized plans and manage records around student decisions/growth when necessary
- Coordinate school-wide events throughout the year, in conjunction with the Dawson Parent Association, Advancement, Athletics and other appropriate departments or groups
- Support faculty, administration and staff in their work with students of diverse backgrounds
- Lead and transparently communicate a code of conduct process that reinforces learning opportunities for all students involved in disciplinary issues
- Assist and be present at school functions, including, but not limited to Open House events, Orientation, New Family events etc.
- Attend student performances and events outside those within the position description
- Attend required meetings and events as assigned by Head of School
The Alexander Dawson School's Mission, Vision & Values:
The Alexander Dawson School at Rainbow Mountain is a nurturing learning community for boys and girls in preschool through grade eight that challenges students to achieve excellence in mind, body and character.
Our graduates will be ready to achieve their individual potential, savor life and meet the challenges of the world.
Entrepreneur G.B. (Jerry) Henderson's vision and philanthropy are the cornerstones of The Alexander Dawson Schools. A lifelong learner, Mr. Henderson was fascinated by technology, education and innovation. He was dedicated to providing students with the highest quality education. Dawson's Core Beliefs are a reflection of Mr. Henderson's legacy.
Teaching & Learning
- Dawson graduates are complex problem solvers and collaborators; empathetic, flexible and innovative; and critical thinkers who develop into resilient lifelong learners and leaders.
- Through choice and reflection, Dawson students are active agents and advocates for their learning experience.
- A Dawson education facilitates deeper learning because students approach tasks from multiple perspectives, and draw connections across disciplines and the outside world.
- Within collaboration and healthy competition, students find value in both successes and failures.
- Teachers best engage and motivate students through encouragement, nurturing, inspiration and inquiry.
- We recognize that students learn at different paces and in different ways, and we differentiate instruction accordingly.
- We continually reevaluate the curriculum for relevance, current methodologies, quality of intellectual content and intrinsic interest.
- We are a true learning community. Dawson's faculty and administrators model lifelong learning by investing in educational best practices, advances in technology and relevant world development.
The Dawson Community
- We choose to be a part of the Dawson community because we share in the vision and values of the Dawson educational experience.
- We find strength in our diversity and commit to learning from each other.
- Although families are the primary educators of their children, student achievement throughout life is increased when the School and families work together as partners.
- Each of us is a model for the rest of us; each of us interacts with integrity and cares for the rest of us.
- With an appreciation of the sacrifices others have made for freedom and social justice, our students learn what it means to be engaged and contributing global citizens. Our students commit themselves to the responsibility of being agents of positive change.
- Global citizens investigate root causes, analyze solutions, connect with people in need and become empowered activists in the problem-solving process.
- As members of the desert environment, we strive to foster an awareness of and responsibility for preservation and sustainability of our natural resources.
The distinct Dawson learning environment is reflective of the diverse community that surrounds us. The celebration of differences drives the Dawson mission and unifies the school-wide focus of self and social awareness. Students benefit from working with and learning from other students and teachers who are varied in learning styles, socioeconomic backgrounds, race, religions, ideology, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, culture and ethnicity. We are committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming learning community.