Mathematics Department Chair
The Pingree community is dedicated to academic excellence and the development of high personal standards. Pingree believes that a love of learning flourishes best in a diverse community that respects truth, curiosity, creativity, humor, and independent and imaginative thinking. Committed to developing global citizens, Pingree actively seeks faculty and students of character and intelligence from diverse social, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds.
Pingree School seeks an experienced math teacher to serve as our Mathematics Department Chair for the 2017-18 academic year. We seek educators who will build upon Pingree’s established integrated curriculum and collaborative approach to teaching mathematics. The successful candidate will have a deep knowledge of and passion for mathematics, a proven record of excellence in teaching and academic leadership, and an appreciation for problem-based, student centered pedagogy. They will be committed to and enjoy working with adolescents in all areas of school life, be open to exploring collaborative, experiential and interdisciplinary teaching opportunities, possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, and demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion.
Specific responsibilities of the math chair position include:
- Oversee the math program including reviewing the curriculum and implementing new initiatives when appropriate.
- Share in and support the math department’s commitment to writing authentic course materials and continuing to develop innovative forms of assessment
- Supervise members of the department and help support their ongoing professional development and growth including observing them regularly, facilitating their evaluations, and serving as their advocate.
- Hold regular department meetings, review and amend department policies, oversee the placement of students, manage the departmental budget, assign sections and other duties to members of the department.
- Meet with and counsel students and parents/guardians regarding course sequencing and placement when appropriate.
- Sit on the curriculum and department chair committees.
- Collaborate with the assistant head for academic affairs and the hiring team on the hiring of math department faculty
- Serve as an ambassador for the school by effectively and proactively communicating the value of the mathematics program, especially the self-designed integrated approach, to current and prospective families.
The chair is expected to teach three sections, lead one co-curricular or equivalent activity, and serve as an advisor. The math chair is supervised by the assistant head of school for academic affairs.
Pingree School is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please send cover letter and resume as a single Word or PDF document to Joy Foley, Executive Assistant to Head of School, at email@example.com