The Hotchkiss School, a competitive college preparatory, boarding school for students in grades 9-12, was founded in 1891. The School enjoys a lovely setting, being located on over 800 acres in Lakeville, Connecticut, on the shores of Lake Wononscopomuc. Hotchkiss is committed to fostering a global, diverse, and inclusive academic community and provides a safe, secure learning environment for all constituents, adult and student alike.
The Hotchkiss School invites applications for the Director of the Class of ‘64 Teaching and Learning Center. The Director of the Learning Center will be responsible for leading the full implementation of the Center’s program and will hold the Class of ‘64 teaching chair. The Director of the Center will collaborate with the Academic Skills Coordinator and the Dean of Academic Life, to whom the Director will report, in the work of overseeing, enhancing, and expanding existing support resources for faculty and students. The Director will focus on building a more consistent and innovative array of teaching practices by promoting pedagogical innovation, professional growth, and teacher collaboration within and across disciplines and in consultation with the Academic Skills Coordinator.
The School is eager to consider applications from groups traditionally underrepresented in independent school communities.
- Help individual faculty and departments collect and assess student feedback
- Oversee administration of student surveys
- Help departments develop subject specific survey instruments
- Assist individual faculty members to gather frequent feedback from students
- Collaborate with the academic office, academic departments, the library, and individual faculty in the design and planning of courses, and learning environments
- Promote inclusive teaching
- Stay abreast of literature on teaching and learning and network with national groups and individuals, lead campus collaborations in the scholarship of teaching and learning and consult with campus partners regarding the Summer Faculty Symposium, grant funding for faculty, and curriculum development
- Accumulate and maintain data on questions related to student learning and teaching
- Oversee the Center’s professional staff: supervision, hiring, and professional development in specialized areas of purview and design and delivery of services/programs
- Lead assessment of the Center
- Serve as a role model for others in maintaining appropriate standards of care for students and maintaining healthy boundaries in professional relationships
- Promote an inclusive working and school environment in action and in deed
Teach one course, co-curricular and residential responsibilities or equivalent responsibilities
- Advanced degree in in education or another substantive/relevant academic discipline
- At least five years of teaching experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Track record of fostering collaboration and lasting partnerships
- Deep knowledge of the following:
- Theories of learning and curricular design, and innovative teaching approaches (e.g., collaborative learning, service learning, problem-based learning, writing to learn)
- Strategies for organizational development, program consultation, group and team building, and the influence of environmental factors on teaching and learning
- Learning and program assessment strategies
- Knowledge of use, implementation, and best practices for instructional technologies
- Demonstrated record of advocacy for diversity
- Track record of excellence supervising professional staff and promoting their professional development
- Record of participation in national organizations related to teaching
- Demonstration of scholarship with a focus on teaching and learning
- Experience managing a budget
- Experience in a rigorous school environment
Hotchkiss provides a competitive salary, an excellent, comprehensive benefit package, including a variety of health insurance offerings, dental, vision, life, and short and long term disability offerings, and HSA/FSA options.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter with résumé, including three references and transcripts for all degree work via e-mail. Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention:
Associate Head of School, Dean of Faculty
The Hotchkiss School
11 Interlaken Road
Lakeville, CT 06039-2141
The essential functions and basic skills have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The Hotchkiss School does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, religion, race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or national or ancestral origin in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other School-administered programs, or in the administration of its hiring and employment practices.