Established in 1831, Grand River Academy is a college preparatory boarding and day school located in Austinburg, Ohio, that serves over 100 young men in grades 8-12, with a post-graduate option. GRA is a close-knit and supportive community featuring a 360 degree approach to developing the total young man, academically, emotionally, and socially.
GRA focuses not just on preparing its students for college - proven by a 100% college placement rate, but also by preparing them to be well-rounded citizens through small and intimate class sizes, individualized instruction and supportive faculty. Grand River Academy serves a unique and important niche - helping young men unlock and activate their full potential and preparing them for lifelong success.
At this time Grand River Academy is seeking a Director of Finance & Operations with extensive financial experience and leadership skills. The Director of Finance & Operations will be a
strategic thought-partner, and report to the Headmaster. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead, develop and support the following areas: Finance, Business Planning and Budgeting, Human Resources, Administration, IT, and Operations.
The Director will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operations.
Responsibilities including but not limited to;
- Serves as an essential support and strategic partner to the Headmaster.
- Responsible for an annual operating budget of $5 million as well as a facilities master-plan
- The Director of Finance and Operations is a member of the senior leadership team.
- Work closely with the Director of Advancement and the Director of Admissions to ensure that the Academy’s fundraising and enrollment projections allow for responsible and accurate planning, effective stewardship, and clear communications to all constituencies about the fiscal health of the Academy.
- Supervise the development, administration, and reporting of the operating and facilities master planning budget to the Headmaster, the Academy’s Board of Trustees and Finance Committee, auditors, federal, state, and local authorities, lenders, donors and various Academy administrative offices as appropriate.
- In conjunction with the Investment Committee, oversee the administration of the Academy’s endowment; execute endowment and investment policy; implement investment decisions of the Investment Committee; and coordinate with the endowment consultants, ensuring effective endowment allocations, performance, and reporting.
- Manage banking, debt, and lease agreements; receive, account for and disburse monies and securities; work with the bank negotiate terms, rates and ensure covenant compliance
- Oversee all personnel policies, data management, campus security,etc.
- Build and/or maintain the Academy’s short- and long-term strategic financial models and dashboards.
- Collaborate with the Academy’s insurance agents regarding all legal and risk management matters.
- Ensure that the Academy is in compliance with all local, state and federal reporting requirements.
- Oversee financial policies, procedures, and internal controls to safeguard assets, protected confidential information, and ensure accurate financial reporting.
- Manage, mentor, and develop direct reports, providing constructive and timely feedback.
- Model and foster high ethical standards, integrity, and respect for colleagues, alumni/ae, parents, and students in the conduct of the Academy’s business.
- Ensure the effective management of the student center and the food-service operation and any other auxiliary enterprises of the school.
- Oversee Academy health function including the supervision of Academy nurses
- Oversee the physical plant, grounds, and construction functions with the Director of Facilities; help plan and direct all replacements and renewals of the physical plan
- Partner with the Headmaster to establish sound and consistent employment policies, adequate staffing levels, compensation, and appropriate benefits programs for all facets of Academy operations.
- Supervise the administration of all employee benefit programs including health insurance, retirement, worker’s compensation, life insurance, and other related plans.
- Collaborate with the Headmaster and other senior administrators on providing leadership regarding employee hiring, termination, compensation and management.
- Oversee the annual financial and 403b plan audits and filings of tax returns.
- Provide transparent financial reporting and planning that builds trust among administrators, faculty and staff, students and alumni, parents, and trustees.
- To represent the school at various regional, state, and national associations relative to the role of Director of Finance and Operations.