Assistant Head of HR and Operations:
Laurence School is an independent kindergarten through sixth grade school located near Sherman Oaks, California. Founded in 1953, Laurence provides a personal and well-rounded education to each student, ensuring his or her academic, social, emotional, and physical growth and development. And, with an enrollment of 300 students and a dedicated team of faculty and staff more than seventy members strong, Laurence is an excellent place to work. At Laurence, employees have the opportunity to thrive in a stimulating and diverse environment, where new ideas, opportunities, skills, and experiences are constantly being exchanged and shared.
Laurence School is seeking an experienced Assistant Head for HR and Operations who, under the direction of the Head of School and Chief Financial Officer, will be responsible for the administration and management of all areas of human resources and operational activities of the School. The position requires a highly organized and detail-oriented person, with excellent interpersonal skills and a high degree of confidentiality and discretion.
Laurence School is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on upon race, religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, disability, or as otherwise prohibited by law. Our employees receive competitive salaries and excellent benefits, including group health and dental insurance and a 401(k) Plan, with matching levels based upon years of service.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Work with the Head of School and CFO in support of the School's Strategic Plan
- Serve as the school HR strategist identifying HR needs of the school.
- Design, development, implementation and review of recruitment procedures for staff across the school, in particular, contributing to new staff induction, training and retention, recruitment procedures, and the smooth transition and on-going support for new staff
- Design, development, implementation and review of assessment and reporting systems for human resources and administration staff, in conjunction with the school leadership team
- Develop, implement and maintain effective compliance with applicable employment regulations, including employee training
- Recommend changes in policies and procedures to school administration
- Have overall responsibility for the school administrative systems and procedures including, but not limited to, front office support services, maintenance and facilities, catering, and security.
- Serve as administrative team leader, coach and advocate for administrative staff
- Counsel and advise staff on personal and work related issues including providing guidance and direction to management team and employees on human resource related topics
- Oversee employee benefits and ensure effective and timely communication of related informatio
- Oversee employee onboarding, orientation, exit processes, and document completion
- Manage and implement personnel policies; complete implementation and manage Human Resource database (ADP)
- Research and recommend relevant insurance products (fidelity bond, property and casualty, management errors and omissions, etc.). Maintain relevant insurance files.
- Negotiate related contracts, manage relevant vendor relationships, liaison with facility manager and oversee office operations
- This position oversees all aspects of the daily operation of the school in collaboration with other senior administration and with assistance from the Facilities department
- Initiating the process of selecting outside vendors for daily operation of the school, strategic planning, master planning, selection of architects, contractors, and other professional services as needed. (Security, Janitorial, Landscaping, and others)
- Communicate and ensure compliance and consistency with office practices and policies and compliance with all employment related laws
- Complying with local, state, and federal regulations
- Work with staff and management to facilitate staff development and training opportunities
- Perform exit interviews and handle the entire process of employee separation including follow up and paperwork
- Annual renewal of employee contracts and Summer Camp contracts
- Prepare and maintain accurate job descriptions and oversee correct FLSA classification of jobs
- Keep informed and up to date regarding industry standards and best practices related to non-profit personnel management
- Maintenance and annual update of the School’s personnel policies and procedures, employee handbook, and personnel forms
- Collect and analyze human resource data for internal and external reporting
- Provide daily supervision of the Front Office and mid management administrative staff.
- Hold regular periodical review meetings with staff to evaluate the effectiveness of human resources and administration (all non-faculty employees)
- In conjunction with the leadership team, attend regular review meetings to identify and discuss staff requiring support
- Make certain that all administrative systems and processes are highly reliable, finely tuned and well delivered with an aim toward pro-action rather than reaction
- Update the organizational chart based on the organization’s needs and employee movements.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School and CFO
Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary history to Shawn Shahmiri, CFO email@example.com