Position Title: Upper School Photography Teacher
Date Modified: February 2, 2017
Reports to: Head of Upper School
Position Purpose: The Upper School Photography Teacher plans and implements a photography curriculum to prepare each student in grades 9-12 to reach his or her maximum potential in visual art, in accordance with the educational philosophy of Saint Mary’s Hall.
Responsibilities to the General Community:
- To prepare and implement lessons in Photography (Darkroom), Digital Photography and AP 2-D Design: Photography.
- To effectively integrate professional standards of visual art education into every day classroom instruction and curriculum.
- To act as a sponsor to Fine Arts Council as well as other student art initiatives and clubs.
- To work with the Director of Fine Arts on continual refinement and improvement of the Upper School photography curriculum.
- To collaborate with the Director of Fine Arts and other visual and media arts faculty on vertical alignment, exhibitions, and programs, scheduling, strategic planning, and upgrading and maintenance of the Fine Arts Media Lab.
- To provide oversight of student submissions to local, regional and national competitions such as VASE, Scholastic, ISAS Fine Arts Festival, and Young Arts.
- To participate in additional school duties including leading a weekly advisory group and lunch duty.
- To prepare an environment in which the furnishings and materials are complete and correspond to the needs of the group, as well as individual students.
- To order and maintain the art supplies in the classroom and for exhibitions, staying within parameters of the Photography budget.
- To manage and communicate student billing for supplies.
- To maintain current attendance, student records, and grading.
- To attend staff meetings, parent meetings, and any special meeting(s) requested by the administration, as well as Fine Arts events and performances.
- To attend conferences and other professional development opportunities to ensure that teaching practices remain current.
- To alert the Head of Upper School immediately of personal difficulties with students, parents, or staff.
- To protect the privacy and working environment of the class at all times.
- To conduct class meetings for parents when appropriate and communicate and cooperate with parents on a regular and consistent basis.
- To assist with other projects, programs and planning as assigned by the Administration and or Director of Fine Arts.
- To understand and exhibit a professional manner.
- To be responsible for the care and maintenance of an orderly environment and clean classroom materials.
- To be responsible for the safety and physical well-being of the students at all times.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Fluency in Adobe Photoshop.
- Understanding of the history of fine art photography, contemporary art practices that include multi-disciplined and multi-media art works, as well as photography as fine art.
- To possess a good working knowledge of a variety of artistic styles and visual art teaching methodologies.
- Commitment to a professional studio practice and exhibition of art works.
- To be able to communicate effectively with educational team and especially with parents.
- To have a positive, upbeat, fun, but disciplined approach to teaching and learning art in order to prepare students for college programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Photography, Art, or related field required.
- M.F.A. in Photography and independent school experience preferred.
- Have at least 3-5 years of Upper School or High School classroom experience.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Works in an art classroom environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate controlled environment.
- Works in a darkroom with developing chemicals.
- May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally bend, stoop, and squat.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Work intermittently in outside weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
To apply email materials to email@example.com.
For more information, visit the Saint Mary’s Hall website at www.smhall.org.