Position Announcement: Head of Middle School
Webb School seeks a visionary leader to head its Middle School, comprised of 276 students in grades sixth through eighth. The position requires proven administrative success, with experience at the middle school level or equivalent, as well as prior teaching experience. The Middle School Head must love middle school students, appreciate the joys and challenges of educating them, and exhibit attentiveness to details, collegiality, and clear and skillful written and oral communication. The Middle School Head works closely and collaboratively with two other division heads and reports to the President.
The Middle School Head provides vision for and oversees the development and implementation of the Middle School curriculum, as well as all leadership and social programs for Middle School students. He or she works closely with the Lower and Upper School Heads to ensure the smooth transitions from Lower School and into Upper School, as well as overseeing the vertical alignment with the Lower and Upper School curriculum. He or she supervises and inspires Middle School teachers, conducts their evaluation process, creates opportunities for professional growth, maintains an effective learning environment, leads weekly meetings with grade teams, and makes recommendations to the President regarding the hiring, retention, and assignment of faculty.
The Middle School Head focuses on Middle School students’ personal, social, and emotional education as well as academic achievement. The Middle School Head, as chief articulator for the Middle School, creates and distributes a weekly newsletter, plans and leads parent information meetings, and leads discussions regarding developmental processes and expectations, and assists the Parent Advisory Council on parent educational programming. He or she provides leadership for the Middle School Admissions Committee, and leads admissions tours and evaluates candidates in partnership with the Director of Admissions.
The Middle School Head oversees the Advising program, and partners with the Athletic Director to ensure a comprehensive Middle School athletic program.
The Middle School Head is a member of the Administrative Council, and serves or chairs on a variety of school-wide committees.
The Middle School Head must exhibit many of the following characteristics: ?
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence in education, with particular focus on the Middle School years. ?
- Insight about ways to shape a distinctively interesting Middle School culture that students experience as empowering and memorable. ?
- A connector, a team-builder, and collaborator who will demonstrate a strong commitment to shared values among faculty, students, and parents. ?
- An excellent communicator who will be compellingly articulate about the division’s distinctive excellences. ?
- Intellectual curiosity, energy, integrity, empathy, enthusiasm, and a sense of humor. ?
- Have an appreciation for innovation and creativity.
- An eagerness to be visible to the school community and welcoming of input and questions from many – students, teachers, and parents. ?
- A willingness to be actively involved in the life of the school and participate and be visible at school events and programs.
- A high level of attention to detail, organization, and strong time management skills. ?
- S/he will rally the great talent and commitment already present in the Middle School and build shared direction and leadership. ?