The Hockaday School is an independent, college preparatory day and boarding school for girls of strong potential and diverse backgrounds who may be expected to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in a rapidly changing world. With an enrollment of more than 1,000 students, The Hockaday School is the nation’s largest pre-kindergarten through grade 12 independent girls’ school. Ranked among the country’s finest college preparatory schools, it was founded over a century ago and continues today to build on its original four cornerstones: Scholarship, Character, Courtesy, and Athletics.
Hockaday is seeking an experienced HR manager to further the mission of the school by directing and coordinating human resources activities with a primary focus in employee benefits administration.
- Administer various employee benefits programs such as group health, wellness benefits, FSA/HSA, dental, vision, accident and disability, life insurance, 403(b) retirement, and employee leave (including FMLA)
- Work with third-party providers to set up annual benefits changes and ensure effective and timely communication to employees of procedures and changes
- Conduct new hire benefits orientation and onboarding, including assistance with the benefits self-enrollment system
- Ensure that benefits elections and changes are entered appropriately in the payroll and benefits provider systems and that any source documentation is properly retained
- Process, verify, and remit payment monthly for all group insurance policies
- Provide expertise, guidance and research regarding various employment law matters such as FMLA, FLSA, ACA, ERISA, COBRA, and Medicare
- Maintain and secure confidential human resource related files and records, handling written, oral, and electronic information in a confidential manner
- Provide back-up support to the Payroll Coordinator for monthly and biweekly payroll processing, including accurate and timely remittance of retirement, flexible spending, and health savings deductions to third-party providers
- Manage the termination process including exit interviews, final deductions and paychecks, and provide important guidance and information to employees upon separation
- Assist the New Hire Coordinator and hiring managers with recruitment, employee orientation, and the onboarding process
- Consult with administrators, employees and legal counsel where necessary to resolve personnel issues, including conducting and documenting interviews and investigations when appropriate
- Assists the CFO and Director of Finance & HR with special projects and other duties, as assigned
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of 5 years of human resources experience with a specific focus in employee benefits administration, not-for-profit experience preferred
- Working knowledge of human resource principals, procedures and practices and up-to-date knowledge of employment law. Must have a relevant HR certification or the education and experience qualifications to obtain these certifications within the first year
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel, including the ability to use advanced Excel functions (e.g., vlookup, pivot table) to perform data analysis. Prior experience and competency with HRIS systems (e.g., ExponentHR, InfinityHR)
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to communicate effectively with all constituents in a school environment, and the ability to maintain information in a strict confidential manner
- Ability to apply common sense understanding and to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form
- Ability to use basic office equipment
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Generally works in standard office conditions and climate
- Regularly uses close and distance vision
- Works at a desk and computer screen for extended periods of time
- Works in a highly stressful environment, dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a varied and diverse array of contacts
- Stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs
Qualified candidates should complete an online application for employment including a resume. Please look for an email confirming receipt of your application.
Any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Hockaday School is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy not to discriminate, and to comply with all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination in employment based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, creed, religion, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, veteran status or other applicable protected classification.