Director of Athletics and Summer Athletic Programs - CONFIDENTIAL
The Director of Athletics and Summer Athletic Programs directly reports to the Head of School.
The Director of Athletics and Summer Athletic Programs is directly responsible for the operation and management of the entire athletics and coaching program for an independent school in Westchester County. This position serves on the school’s Administrative Team, as a Dean, and is responsible for implementing the school’s vision for cutting-edge athletic and wellness programs for young women.
The Director of Athletics advances mission through sport, physical and health development for students in all divisions on campus. As such, the Director will work to develop the educational program to support the growth and development of students to ensure the program is aligned strategically in developing student-athletes for competitive readiness in the Middle and Upper School divisions. The Athletic Director develops coaching standards and supervises coaches in meeting the standards. The Director oversees the hiring of coaches, develops a training and conditioning program for student athletes, manages facilities and fields and the maintenance of those facilities, and leads and models the highest level of school pride to rally support from the school community and local community for our athletic teams. The Athletic Director reports to the Head of School. The Athletic Director works with the Associate Head of School, the Director of Communications, Director of Advancement the Director of Operations to advance the department’s goals, strategic plan, and school mission.
Job Responsibilities include (but not limited to)
- Provide visionary leadership and direction for the athletics program, physical education program, and a wellness program for the school community, that supports the mission of our independent school.
- Oversee operation and management of the field house, gymnasium, fields, and wellness spaces. In addition to active supervision of the spaces, the Director is the point person for communications with physical plant operations, security, and the business office.
- Manage P&L for Division and Athletics and Wellness Center, including revenue-producing summer programs, complex rental agreements, and budget for the divisions.
- Lead, manage and inspire 30+ full and part-time faculty, coaches and administrative staff. Provide vision and direction for department level directors in planning and delivery of innovative, mission-driven physical education, athletics, wellness and aquatics programs.
- Serve as a role model to students, be a visible presence in all areas of the school, serve in an Advisory/Dean capacity and promote cooperation and cohesion among all divisions and departments.
- Communicate effectively with parents, students, other senior school administrators and community partners. Serve as a role model to students, be a visible presence in all areas of the school, serve in an Advisory/Dean capacity and promote cooperation and cohesion among all divisions and departments.
- Lead the Athletic Department through a strategic planning process to advance the school’s mission and scholar-athlete profile in all aspects of school/student life.
- Develop and publish an annual set of goals and benchmarks for school-wide faculty, team coaches, marketing, development, and admissions to ensure that we measure the success of the program, our athletes, and coaches while also working to advance the school’s competitive reputation in the community.
- Lead all efforts of skill development in preparation for participation in athletics and sport.
- Develop a prospective student athletic program that encourages intramural and interscholastic involvement in the school community and local community.
- Work with the athletic trainers and health office on campus to ensure that proper care and prevention measures are in place to protect athletes.
- Lead by activity and example.
- Develop, organize, supervise and evaluate the entire program of intramural and interscholastic athletics for the entire school.
- Establish a set of coaching standards that unifies the role of coaches and fulfills the school’s mission.
- Supervise, train, develop and be committed to ensuring that all coaches are performing their duties at the very highest level of professionalism and working to model the standards of coaching.
- Oversee athletic facilities and work with the Director of Operations and Director of Maintenance in the maintenance, planning, and rental opportunities for athletics.
- Ensure that all coaching positions are filled with competent coaches who are properly trained in all organizational and philosophical aspects of the athletic program. In this connection, he or she will participate with the Head of School and the administrative team in employment decisions and faculty assignments.
- Ensure the proper maintenance and security of all athletic equipment and athletic facilities, fields, and courts, working in coordination with the Director of Operations.
- Organize (and submit to the Director of Communications) regular information on the various programs for public recognition of athletic achievements.
- Prepare, submit and administer a budget each year to fund the athletic programs of the school.
- Provide the scheduling of all athletic contests, arrange for athletic transportation and hire all game officials.
- Work with the college counseling office in support of student athletes who aspire to postsecondary athletic careers.
- Work with the admission office in the identification of scholar athletes who fit the mission and profile of the school.
- Represent the school at various state, regional and national athletic associations.
- Maintain records of team and individual athletic accomplishments and submit copies of same to the Advancement/Alumnae Office for historical purposes.
- Lead the way for coaches to develop seasonal goals for athletes based on documentation, statistics and records.
- Maintain and revise the coaches’ manual each year and set up appropriate meetings with the coaches to review the information and standards in detail through the coaches’ review process.
- Oversee the distribution, collection, cleaning, repair and storage of all athletic uniforms and equipment.
- Ensure the health and safety of all students in the athletic program, and to be responsible for it.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.