Position Title: Dance Program Office Manager/Fine Arts Coordinator & Dance Teacher
Date Modified: February 7, 2017
Reports to: Director of Fine Arts (Administration)
Head of Lower School (Teaching)
Position Purpose: This position manages communications and logistics for Dance Program, as well as supporting Fine Arts operations. In addition, this position plans and implements select classes in the Lower School dance curriculum to prepare each student in grades Montessori through Form 5 to reach his or her maximum potential in dance, in accordance with the educational philosophy of Saint Mary’s Hall.
Manage the day-to-day operations of the Dance Program, under the direction of the Director of Fine Arts
- Oversee Dance Program operations, productions, and communications. Serve as the point person for the overall program. Manage procedures, processes, and project implementation.
- Provide superior customer service and facilitate communication with dance faculty, students, parents, classroom teachers, administrators, and the general community.
- Develop policies and procedures for program administration such as the ordering of costumes, materials and supplies, writing purchase orders, preparing student billing and deposits, and preparing payroll information for after school teachers and guest artists.
- Work closely with the Assistant Director of Fine Arts to monitor the dance budget and program expenses, as well as in the development of production marketing materials such t-shirts, posters, and promotional magnets.
- Coordinate dance subs and guest artist agreements.
- Communicate with and organize parent volunteers and substitute teachers.
- Maintain order and efficiency in the Dance Building and Fine Arts Conference Room.
- Write, prepare and disseminate dance packets, production programs, and flyers.
- Track trends in dance studio management and make recommendations on best practices to the Director of Fine Arts.
Support the Director of Fine Arts in administration of the Fine Arts Department
- Manage dance class and private lesson registration.
- Oversee the Dance and Drama costume inventory and organization.
- Create detailed reports as required by the Director of Fine Arts.
- Teach In-School Montessori-Kindergarten dance classes as assigned.
- Teach after school dance classes, according to program needs.
- Act as the Head Choreographer for the Montessori-Kindergarten Dance Production.
- To attend all dance rehearsals/performances. Trouble shoot problems and provide support for all dance productions.
Responsibilities to the General Community
- Integrate professional standards of dance education into everyday classroom instruction, curriculum, rehearsals and performance.
- Set choreography that is age/ability appropriate, showcases students equitably, and demonstrates the artistry becoming the Saint Mary’s Hall Dance Program.
- Collaborate with dance faculty, in-house production team, and Director of Fine Arts on production concerns.
- Make recommendations on program purchases and guest artists to the Director of Fine Arts.
- To effectively work within the budgetary and technical perimeters of the program/venue.
- Maintain current attendance, student records, grading, and comments for your students.
- Attend staff meetings, parent meetings, and any special meeting(s) requested by the administration, as well as Fine Arts events and performances.
- Attend conferences and other professional development opportunities to ensure that teaching practices remain current.
- Inform the Director of Fine Arts and/or the Division Head immediately of personal concerns with students, parents, or staff.
- Conduct class meetings for parents when appropriate and communicate and cooperate with parents on a regular and consistent basis.
- Understand and exhibit a professional manner.
- Be an active member of the Fine Arts Department and the greater school community.
- Be responsible for the safety and physical well-being of your students at all times.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Be able to communicate and work effectively with students, the school, department colleagues, guest artists and parents.
- Have a positive, upbeat, fun, but disciplined approach to fine arts administration and teaching dance.
- Have knowledge of a variety of dance styles and dance teaching methodologies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Dance/related field required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Have 3-5 years office and/or production management experience in the arts or a related field.
- Have experience teaching dance to pre-school and elementary-aged students. Independent School teaching experience a plus.
- Have the ability to maintain positive relationships in a tight-knit office environment.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Works in a dance environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- Must be flexible and able to bend, stoop, squat, and present/follow dance choreography.
- May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate controlled environment.
- Work intermittently in outside weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
To apply: email materials to email@example.com.
For more information visit the Saint Mary’s Hall website at www.smhall.org