Belmont Day School is a pre-kindergarten to eighth grade independent school founded in 1927 by a group of parents committed to providing children with an excellent foundation and many opportunities for creative expression. Our six values of honesty, caring, joy, responsibility, respect, and excellence permeate the culture for adults and children.
Fifth Grade English and Social Studies Teacher
We are seeking a dynamic, skilled, and experienced teacher to serve as one of two fifth grade homeroom teachers and teach both English and social studies. Deep knowledge and appreciation for literature and social studies, as well as expertise in teaching reading, writing, and research is required. A qualified candidate will also possess a strong enthusiasm, deep knowledge of, and familiarity with fifth grade students.
This is a full-time, exempt, and benefit eligible position. It is a ten-month position and reports to the head of the middle school.
- Teach two sections of fifth grade English and two sections of fifth grade social studies.
- Serve as a homeroom teacher, helping to lead community meetings, and engaging with students routinely by providing coverage at lunch, recess, and dismissal, or as needed.
- Create and deliver rigorous, effective, and compelling curricular experiences.
- Work to ensure academic excellence—the ability of students to approach novel tasks with the confidence, mindset, and skills to accomplish them successfully.
- Collaborate with all members of the fifth grade team and all school faculty to design curriculum and support co-curricular programming and the development of students beyond the classroom.
- Commit to fostering a diverse and inclusive community both in and out of the classroom.
- Keep careful assessment and anecdotal records to inform comprehensive student reports.
- Lead and assist in parent-teacher conferences focused on the social, emotional, and academic growth of middle school students.
- Design curriculum and record it regularly on the schoolwide database.
- Provide regular, constructive, and specific feedback to students to encourage their growth and improvement as both writers and readers.
- Establish and maintain strong home-school partnerships with families to ensure students’ successes.
- Engage with students routinely by providing coverage at lunch, recess, and dismissal, or as needed.
Please submit a cover letter specific to this position along with a resume to email@example.com.
Belmont Day seeks candidates who will add to the diversity of our community. The school will always be maintained as a nonsectarian institution and is an equal opportunity employer. BDS complies with all legal requirements in connection with admissions and access to programs, facilities and employment practices regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, or disability.