597 Central Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
Currently Accepting Applications
Full Time Garden/PE/Math Teacher 2017-18
Are you a creative, innovative and caring educator who is seeking a position that is not bound by the expectations of traditional education?
Helios School is an innovative, independent school community for gifted children in grades K-8 in Sunnyvale, CA. We are seeking flexible, high-caliber educators who have:
- A background in one or more of the following:
- Project-based, progressive, or constructivist schools
- Expeditionary Learning
- Experiential education
- In-depth theme-based teaching
- An openness to teaching math
Additionally, all Helios teachers model:
- A practice of lifelong learning and continual professional development
- A desire to work collaboratively with colleagues
- A commitment to meet the needs of gifted children in an authentic and developmentally appropriate learning environment
- A flexible demeanor, combined with a commitment fostering a nurturing, creative and experiential environment that reinforces academic skills
- Ability to motivate and challenge students while maintaining a focused, orderly environment
- Ability to use an interactive, hands-on, project-based approach while promoting self-discovery and critical thinking
- A positive, passionate attitude with demonstrated professionalism, responsibility, and work ethic
This is a unique full-time position that invites a skilled, talented educator to join our community fulfilling the following role:
- 50% of this job is devoted to developing and teaching all the physical education classes.
- 35% of the job is dedicated to garden education and maintenance.
- 15% of the job is dedicated to planning and teaching a math class to a group of about 10 students, for which training and professional development will be provided (all Helios teachers, regardless of disciplinary specialty, also teach math).
- The position would include attending staff meetings, retreats, and potentially school camping trips.
Garden Educator and Manager Responsibilities:
- Maintaining the school garden and garden curriculum
- Designs a garden map and plan
- Coordinates with parent volunteers
- Coordinates and communicating with all classroom teachers
- Implements ongoing garden projects
- Maintains irrigation systems
- Maintains tools, and equipment
- Maintains compost systems
- Maintains organic integrated pest management system
- Maintains worm bin
- Work with students
- Researches and implements age appropriate garden curriculum grades K-4
- Teaches 4 garden lessons a week (K-8)
- Engages the students in as many aspects of garden care and management as possible
- Engages students in the garden during morning and lunch recess
- Teaches garden electives
PE Teacher Responsibilities:
- Researches and implements a progressive K-8 PE curriculum that emphasizes sportsmanship, team play, the development of a positive attitude towards participation, and an understanding of "fit for life" philosophy.
- Maintains and organizes PE materials
- Coordinates and communicates with teachers
- Facilitates PE lessons for grades K-8.
Math Teacher Assistant (may be optional)
- Responsibility for teaching and assessing a daily one-hour math class at a level of mathematics comfortable to you.
- A willingness to learn Singapore math curriculum
- Ability to promote a growth mindset in a classroom
- Willingness and ability to approach mathematical concepts from multiple angles using manipulatives, numerical notation, and drawing.