St. Andrew’s Episcopal School, a vibrant and diverse PK3-12 independent school in Mississippi’s capital city, invites applications for a full-time faculty position teaching Upper School English, with specific teaching assignments dependent upon individual strengths and program needs.
St. Andrew’s Upper School offers a challenging, integrated curriculum. Students learn to ask questions, collaborate, and relate abstract concepts to practical applications. In addition to taking classes in science, math, English, history, world languages and the arts, students are also engaged in athletics and attend weekly chapel services. An Upper School Advisory program supports their emotional and social development.
The English Department seeks a colleague who is a lifelong learner and effective teacher of critical thinking and communication skills. The ideal candidate should possess
- a comprehensive understanding of literature, the writing process, grammar and mechanics
- the facility to make connections between literature and culture
- the ability to work collaboratively across divisions and departments
- an enthusiasm for contributing to the life of the school
- an educational background inclusive of a Bachelor’s degree (with a Master’s degree strongly preferred)
- a varied teaching experience, especially with students of comparable age.
Other helpful skills would include
- background in British literature, with some background in world literature also beneficial
- experience with publications, particularly for schools
- experience with InDesign and Photoshop.
In keeping with the Characteristics of Excellence for all faculty and staff, the ideal candidate should also
- be flexible, organized, and innovative
- be able to embrace the mission of the school and strive to meet the needs of a diverse student body.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer and institution explicitly committed to nurturing a diverse community, St. Andrew’s does not discriminate in violation of the law on the basis of the protected categories of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender, and sexual orientation), age, disability, genetic information, or military/veteran status in its employment practices or hiring practices. The school encourages applications from all qualified candidates and especially encourages applications from members of traditionally underrepresented groups in independent schools. St. Andrew’s also offers a competitive benefits package, including extensive professional development and travel opportunities. More information about the school is available at www.gosaints.org.
To apply, please submit a cover letter addressing the characteristics specified above, a current resume or CV, a copy of higher education transcripts (unofficial copies will suffice initially), and a list of at least three professional references. All materials should be submitted electronically, with documents forwarded as PDFs to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please place “Upper School English Search” in the subject line.