St. Mark’s Episcopal School is excited to conduct a search for a part-time math teacher for the 2017-2018 school year.
St. Mark’s, established in 1979, is a coeducational parish day school, now serving 475 students from age two through Grade 8 in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. The foundation of St. Mark’s program is to provide students with balanced exposure to academics, arts, athletics, and spiritual life. At all levels, our students will be, as our mission states, academically enriched in a nurturing Christian environment.
The primary goal of our mathematics program is to develop flexible, creative, and confident problem solvers who feel challenged at the appropriate cognitive level. The curriculum requires each student to think logically, critically, and analytically. Teachers model resourceful and creative ways to approach unfamiliar problems so that students can become independent. Students learn to articulate their steps in problem solving as well as how to assess correctness and appropriateness of solutions.
Ideal candidates are those who seek to partner with parents, collaborate with team members, demonstrate a commitment to professional growth, motivate students academically, and support students in developing their moral character. A firm understanding of differentiated instruction and 21st century skills should drive this candidate’s instruction. Qualified candidates should have the understanding and ability to respond to the distinct needs of middle school students, as communication with children of this age requires a healthy balance of structure, empathy, and humor.
Preferred Professional Qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in secondary math education, a degree in mathematics, or a related field. Advanced degrees preferred.
- An understanding of current best practices for teaching mathematics, such as incorporating projects with real-world application and Number Talks to promote greater number sense.
- Ability to manage a classroom while pulling small groups to differentiate instruction.
- Previous middle school teaching experience.
- Familiarity with independent school culture.
- Comfort with a faith-based school.
- Knowledge of authentic, age-appropriate technology integration.
For more information on St. Mark’s Episcopal School, visit our website at stmarkspbg.org. Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to Ann Fernandez, Assistant to the Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.