The Branson School inspires excellence in a nurturing, vibrant educational community based on personal and intellectual integrity. At the heart of Branson is the trusting, dynamic relationship between dedicated teachers and students. An academically exceptional high school located in Marin County, CA, Branson provides a stimulating and communal work environment that encourages creativity and collaboration.
Reports To: Head of School
The Branson School is seeking an experienced Director of Athletics to provide overall leadership, direction, supervision, and coordination for all of the Athletic Programs at the Branson School. While he or she is responsible for developing and maintaining a viable athletics program, the Director of Athletics is also expected to join the faculty and staff in a commitment to active learning and must have a strong belief in the academic achievement of student-athletes. The Director of Athletics is responsible for seeing that the high standards of professionalism, communication, and organization are maintained within the department, while ensuring that our student-athletes develop an appreciation for such attributes as sportsmanship, integrity, responsibility and commitment.
We are seeking someone who is exceedingly well organized, flexible and enjoys the challenges of working with a range of constituencies. This person is required to supervise high school coaches, parent volunteers, student athletes, as well as high school sporting events. The Director of Athletics must be comfortable acting as a mentor to students and, as such, must be able to serve as a positive role model for student athletes.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for all aspects of the interscholastic and club programs.
- Review all athletic programs to assure that quality is maintained with regard to girls’ and boys’ programs. Assure that emphasis is placed upon equality with regard to finances, participation, facilities, and programs.
- Communicate regularly with the Director of Athletics at the College of Marin to make sure that the Branson athletic program operates smoothly for all parties
- Work with the Director of Communications & Marketing to make certain that the school’s student athletes receive appropriate recognition, both on the school website and in local media.
- Represent the School at various local, regional, and national athletic events and associations.
- Sit on the MCAL AD’s board as a representative of Branson and work with the other Director of Athletics as needed.
- Offer leadership and give direction to the athletic department team, including the Assistant Director of Athletics, the Strength and Conditioning Coach, and the Athletic Trainer.
- Hire, manage, and evaluate all coaches of all teams (JV, Varsity, and Club) consulting with the Head of School and Administrative team as needed on hiring decisions.
- Enforce school rules and regulations pertaining to coaching ethics.
- Work with the Assistant Head of School for Academics to ensure that the athletic and academic programs work together to serve the best interests of Branson students.
Administrative and Fiscal/Facilities Management
- Prepare and administer the Athletic Department budget each year.
- Advise and collaborate with the Bullpen, Branson’s booster club.
- Maintain and revise the coaches’ manual each year and set up appropriate meetings with the coaches to review the information and standards in detail.
- Ensure proper maintenance of all athletic equipment, facilities, fields, and courts, working in conjunction with the Assistant Head and Director of Maintenance.
- Maintain school records, both for teams and individuals, and submit as necessary to the Development Office, the Archivist, and the Director of Communications and Public Relations.