Applications are sought from well-qualified candidates for the position of Head of Lower School (grades 2-5) to begin July 2017. This is a unique and very exciting opportunity at one of North America’s premier international schools. The position reports to the Head of School and is a member of the Senior Administrative Team.
The Awty International School is a co-educational, college preparatory day school enrolling 1600 students from Preschool through 12th grade. Within the Lower School approximately 400 students are enrolled. Awty is currently the largest international school in the USA and is accredited by CIS, the Dutch Ministry of Education, The French Ministry of Education and ISAS.
Our faculty and student composition is a clear reflection of the diversity embraced at Awty: over 60% of our faculty are bilingual; our student body is an intentionally balanced male-female ratio which represents 54 different nationalities (many hold dual or triple nationality) from 58 different language groups. Approximately 60% of the students at Awty are in the international curriculum, leading to the IB diploma. Approximately 40% of the students are in the French National Curriculum leading to the French Baccalauréat.
The Head of Lower School is responsible for all aspects of the division. S/he:
- Ensures a safe, happy, active environment in which students learn and thrive
- Understands and respects French, International and US Independent School educational systems
- Works effectively with people from diverse international cultures and backgrounds
- Maintains appropriate standards of behavior and opportunities for students to grow into being self-disciplined and responsible young people
- Assists in the admission and placement of new students
- Assesses and advances student learning outcomes and progress
- Has oversight responsibility for curriculum, including assessment and development
- Leads the LS Student Support Team with a student-centered approach
- Works with the Director of the Early Learning Campus and the Head of Middle School to ensure vertical alignment of the curriculum and continuity of the student experience
- Supports a strong faculty through hiring, respectful engagement, guiding professional development, supervision and evaluation
- Manages the academic/class day schedule, as well as coordinating events and activities
- Works respectfully and warmly with parents, through effective and proactive communication, programs of interest to parents, engagement with our Parents’ Association and volunteers, and meeting needs of individual parents in regard to their child
- Assists, as needed, with Accreditation processes
- Represents the Lower School and the school as a whole at key events
- Is a vital member of the senior administrative team
The Head of Lower School is supported by an executive assistant, a deputy head, two curriculum coordinators (international curriculum and French National Program), two school counselors, a learning support specialist, and a number of teachers who serve as cycle and grade level coordinators.
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with the responsibilities of the position.
Inquiries, including a letter of application, resume, and references should be sent to Lisa Darling, Head of School.
Applications can also be made on line at: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=awty&jobId=26740.