The Orchard School is seeking an innovative, dynamic, collaborative teacher with a strong background in middle school math who can enhance the current program by teaming with middle school math and science teachers to help further differentiate instruction with a particular focus on challenge and enrichment.
The successful candidate will understand the developmental needs of middle school students and combine knowledge of math with charisma, humor, energy and interest in connecting and inspiring students. Additionally, the successful candidate must be flexible and an excellent communicator and collaborator.
Qualifications and Attributes
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in math, or related field
- Experience working with middle school students
- Knowledge of and experience teaching pre-algebra and algebra
- Experience and comfort with project-based math instruction
- Ability and comfort to write narrative assessments
- Experience and interest in being a middle school advisor
- Willingness to chaperone overnight middle school trips
- Deep knowledge of developmental stages of middle schoolers
- Understanding of learning styles, differentiated instruction and the need to match subject/content with the developmental stages of the learner
- A commitment to progressive education
- Ability to design hands-on, experiential learning activities that advance the targeted learning outcomes
- Ability to work with technology to support, supplement and enhance teaching and learning
- Affinity and enthusiasm for working with adolescents
- Capacity to inspire others
- Demonstrated history of energy and dynamism in the classroom
- Willingness to learn and improve professionally
- Sound judgment and emotional maturity
- Ability to collaborate and work with a team
- Demonstrated ability to work with parents in a thoughtful and proactive manner
- Willingness to partner with parents proactively for the well-being of the advisee
- Willingness to engage in all aspects of the Orchard community
Candidates should apply by sending a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please place “MATH” in the subject line of the email.
The Orchard School values our employees and offers a total compensation package designed to attract and retain talented individuals who make our school successful. Benefits include:
- Generous Retirement Savings Plan with match
- Paid personal days
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid Life Insurance
- Health and dental insurance
- Paid Long and short term disability
- Other benefits
The Orchard School
Founded in 1922, Orchard is an independent, non-sectarian, progressive school for 600 students in preschool through the 8th grade. Orchard is committed to advance each student’s academic success, self-confidence, open-mindedness, ethical character, leadership, and love of learning. Located in north Indianapolis on a 43-acre wooded campus with a state-of-the-art facility, Orchard promises academic excellence through a well-rounded education, engaging the natural curiosity of students in an active, child-centered, and experiential learning environment.
Orchard values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. Orchard does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion or national origin in the administration of its admission, tuition assistance, or employment determination.
The Orchard School is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools and is accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Central States.
For more information about The Orchard School, visit: www.orchard.org