Spanish Teacher, Upper School
Brief Overview of the Role
Liaises with: Dept. Coordinator, Director of Teaching & Learning, Director of Curriculum & Technology
The ideal applicant is someone who is a native speaker or has experience living in a Spanish-speaking country. This person has the capacity to teach both Middle and Upper School students. Fluency is essential.
We seek a teacher with at least two years teaching experience and preferably a candidate with experience teaching advanced language courses (e.g., AP, IB). Wooster expects teachers to creatively collaborate across departmental lines and to build and integrate curriculum. A commitment to lifelong learning, building relationships, creating compassion, and developing community are the pillars of teaching and learning in this setting. Having a curious, positive, active, and collaborative disposition is essential to thriving in this learning environment.
Spanish Teacher Expectations
- Deliver high quality, rigorous, student-centered instruction
- Lead in the development of language curriculum and innovative pedagogy
- Collaborate with colleagues, coordinators, and directors
- Participate in student life and extra curricular activities
- Act as an advisor to an assigned group of students
- Assist in the implementation of the DLI Spanish program (DLI, which stands for the Deep Learning Initiative, is Wooster’s college-level coursework for advanced students)
- Chaperone school trips and attend school events (e.g., dances, grade level field trips)
- Incorporate online or blended strategies into the curriculum
Founded in 1926, Wooster School, a co-educational, Pre K-12, college preparatory day school with an enrollment of approximately 375 students, is located in Danbury, Connecticut. Wooster educates a diverse population of students in academic ability, socioeconomic background, and ethnicity. The School is a member of the Connecticut Association of Independent Schools and the National Association of Independent Schools. Wooster is a community of thinkers, learners, and creators. By combining tradition, innovation, and the power of relationships, we produce curious, capable and compassionate learners who possess the skills and dispositions to be successful and fulfilled learners for life.
Wooster is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to a competitive salary, employees receive retirement, health insurance, tuition remission, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance benefits.