Latin School of Chicago is seeking a physical education teacher for the Lower School, grades JK- 4. A Bachelor’s degree in physical education and 3-5 years teaching experience is required. A Master’s degree in physical education or a related field is preferred. Specific knowledge of early childhood development preferred. Strong candidates will be well-versed in educational technology and have demonstrated a commitment to inclusivity, collaboration, and professionalism.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and teach physical education classes consistent with school goals, objectives, and mission
- Teach knowledge of, and develop skills in physical fitness, rhythm and dance, coordination and agility, lifetime activity, cooperative learning, team-building, and sports
- Develop students' skills in leadership, teamwork, and responsibility; provide a safe and optimal learning environment; offer appropriate feedback regarding student progress, expectations, and goals
- Organize and maintain a system for accurate record-keeping, conduct ongoing assessment of student growth and progress, and modify instructional methods to fit individual student's needs
- Work cooperatively with the early childhood team to plan and execute a play co-coaching physical education program
- Continue to acquire professional knowledge and learn current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops, professional meetings, or by conducting research
- Assist in coordinating extracurricular activities, including student performances, assemblies, and athletic events
- Write personalized, detailed narratives throughout the year that effectively and accurately communicate the child’s progress
- Establish and maintain respectful relationships with students, parents, staff, and community members
- Attend and participate in specials, physical education, cross-divisional, and LS faculty meetings and committees
- Inspect equipment, outside field areas, and maintain weekly inventory records of instructional aids and supports to ensure all are in good and safe working order
- Provide mentoring, supervision, and direction for assistant teachers in the physical education department
- Be an active member of the school wellness committee
Interested candidates should apply via the application link found on Latin’s website. Candidates should complete the application and submit a letter of interest, a resume, and a philosophy of education statement. Latin School embraces diversity of people, cultures, and ideas and is an equal opportunity employer.