Saint Andrew's Episcopal School is seeking a dynamic and highly collaborative Middle School Spanish teacher and advisor for the fall of 2017. The successful candidate will join a community of dedicated, compassionate, energetic, and experienced adults – faculty and parents alike – who are committed to the mission to develop “as fully as possible the intellectual, spiritual, physical, and social capacities of each student.” Our goal is to build a joyful, inclusive, and respectful learning community.
This teacher will be responsible for teaching up to five sections of Spanish courses in grades 5-8 as well as a daily Advisory class for 10-12 students. The successful candidate must be able to transfer her/his enthusiasm for and deep understanding of the Spanish language to students using multiple modalities and authentic applications in order to make learning relevant and meaningful for students. Differentiation, such that students are appropriately challenged within their developmental level, and a meaningful approach to homework are expected instructional strategies. S/he must also demonstrate excellent communication and collaboration skills, creativity, and a high degree of self-direction and flexibility.
1) Student Relationships
- Creating an inclusive, welcoming, learning-motivated classroom environment where student voice is celebrated.
- Be attuned to the specific learning needs and social and emotional development of each student.
- Lead an advisory group of approximately 10-12 students; provide instruction in health, wellness, social-emotional learning, and character education through coaching, mentoring, and counseling.
- Provide academic support for students outside of class time (answering homework questions, providing extra help, etc.), as needed.
- Facilitate age appropriate exploratory, investigative, and challenging instruction.
- Plan instruction that inspires enthusiasm, confidence, and a deep understanding of the Spanish language and Spanish cultures.
- Create learning experiences by incorporating a range of instruction modalities.
- Assess understanding using a variety of formative and summative assessments.
- Utilize assessment feedback to adjust instruction and continuously improve student learning.
- Use technology creatively and effectively in a one-to-one laptop environment.
- Attend and collaborate in the organization for annual overnight educational trips.
- Actively pursue student-centered professional learning opportunities aligned with school goals and initiatives.
- Active collaboration with other middle school teachers, educators, and specialist teachers to develop curriculum, plan trips, interdisciplinary learning opportunities, and special projects.
- Communicate regularly with parents regarding curriculum and student progress.
- Be a positive and contributing member of the school community.
- Supervise students in other roles such as recess, lunch, field trips, etc.
- Participate actively in department, grade-level team, division, and faculty meetings as scheduled.
- Pursue relevant opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Collaborate with departmental colleagues on the ordering of instructional materials, course placements, curriculum development, etc.
Interested candidates should email a resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Campus interviews and demonstration lessons will take place until the position is filled.