Due to an increasing student body, Mount Vernon Presbyterian School is currently seeking to hire an additional Associate Director of College Counseling for the Upper School (grades 9-12) to begin in July of 2017. This is a full-time position. The Associate Director of College Counseling will report to the Director of College Counseling and collaborate to provide comprehensive guidance through the college admission process.
The Associate Director of College Counseling at Mount Vernon Presbyterian School will round out a team of three full-time college counselors who support a graduating class of roughly 80 students. The College Counseling Office plays a strategic role in advancing the mission of the School.
Founded on the premise that individual student learning journeys are the most important component of the college application process, the Mount Vernon College Counseling department works closely with Upper School students, beginning in grade 9, to curate course schedules, customize the college search, and ultimately craft for colleges and universities a compelling account of a student’s successes, passions, and priorities up to this point in his/her career.
If you consider yourself to be a builder, a lifelong learner, and a strengths-finder, then keep reading!
The Associate Director of College Counseling will:
- Maintain a caseload of Grade 11 and Grade 12 students through graduation and collaborate with team members to lead counseling sessions with students in Grades 9 and 10
- Collaborate with two current team members to develop and implement thoughtful and effective college counseling strategies, innovative programming, and best practices in the context of Mount Vernon
- Stay abreast of current admissions and counseling trends through reading and research
- Maintain membership in professional associations and attend conferences
- Participate in campus visits and tours
- Network extensively with college admissions and college counseling colleagues
- Assist with standardized testing, eportfolios, academic advising, administrative duties, the advisory program, and facilitating student college tours
The College Counseling team capitalizes on each member’s skills and expertise, expecting each member to contribute insight and new ideas that will constantly improve the program.