Friends School of Baltimore administrators lead and mentor faculty who teach by example, blending intellectual exploration, enthusiasm, and joy. Every day, administrators collaborate, demonstrate vision for educational growth, and foster a mutually respectful and positive working relationship among faculty, staff, parents, and students. Administrators understand and encourage innovation within their divisional/departmental programs, provide reflective insight, and encourage constituents to think deeply, to dialogue, to share, to seek truth, to embrace challenge, and to peacefully resolve conflicts as they arise. They provide attention and concern for family, faculty and student needs while keeping a clear view of the school’s mission and strategic purposes. It is a big task, but one to which our administrators are passionately dedicated.
In addition to a commitment to the fundamental ideals of Quaker education, Friends School administrators are expected to model and foster the habits of mind we believe are essential to an outstanding 21st century education: creativity, curiosity, empathy, reflection, and resilience. We seek administrators whose leadership styles and experiences demonstrate:
- A record of successful collaboration with colleagues
- A commitment to lifelong learning, and ongoing professional development
- The infusion of technology to enhance professional learning
- Experience with and openness to interdisciplinary teaching practices
- A commitment to issues of diversity
- Experience supervising faculty and staff
- A record of executing tasks in a systematic, organized manner
- Experience with effectively communicating academic, social, and behavioral concerns with parents, teachers, and students
Context and Philosophy:
Friends School of Baltimore has an opening for a Lower School (LS) Assistant Principal for the Pre-Primary, grades PK-P1, who would start the position in August 2017. This LS Assistant Principal will assist in the day-to-day operations of the division and reports to the LS Principal. There are approximately 50 students in the Pre-Primary with a faculty of 13. We seek a candidate who has strong communication skills, experience with administrative functions, collaborating with parents and employees cross-divisionally, and who has early childhood curriculum knowledge. Candidates may be asked to share materials that demonstrate these qualities during the interview. This administrator will work 10.5 months from August through June and will have benefits. All Lower School administrators participate in the full program of an independent school in addition to their administrative responsibilities, which may include teaching, as needed.?
- Oversight of Pre-Primary building and grounds
- Serve as Director and oversee the Pre-Primary State Licensing Program
- Establish and maintain relationships with parents, colleagues, and students
- Coordination of academic and inter-divisional activities (shared)
- Scheduling, staffing, and assisting with Lower School Admissions
- Mentoring teachers, professional development, and facilitating teacher evaluations
- Oversight, planning and execution of various special Pre-Primary days and events
- Meet a variety of parent, student, and teacher concerns
- Assist with curriculum development and advancement
- Schedule and facilitate Parent Coffees and Parent Information Forums
Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree and experience preferred
Interested candidates should apply with their resume, cover letter, and supporting documents. A search committee will review candidate information and then will contact those candidates they are interested in having a conversation with about the position.
Friends School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and its employment decisions are without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other category protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.