Phoenix Country Day School (www.pcds.org), founded in 1961, sits on 40 acres in beautiful Paradise Valley, AZ, nestled between Scottsdale and Phoenix, two cities with boundless opportunities and spectacular climate. The school serves 730 students, grades PK-12, organized into three divisions. PCDS prepares promising students to become responsible leaders and lifelong learners through an education that emphasizes intellectual engagement, independence, collaboration, creativity, and integrity—a mission that is very evident in the daily life of the school.
Recognized as one of the top independent schools in the Southwest, PCDS is a community that engenders strong loyalty and is appreciated as a happy place to learn and to work. Characterized by a community of parents who genuinely care and are involved, a faculty and staff who are positive and supportive, and students who enjoy each other’s company, the school is a rewarding place to work both personally and professionally. The school culture is one of continually striving towards improvement. An ambitious comprehensive capital campaign, with a goal of $24M, is nearing completion and is funding numerous campus improvements including updated arts and science spaces and enhanced athletic facilities.
PCDS seeks a Director of Finance & Operations (DFO) to start in July 2017 or sooner. This is a tremendous opportunity to be an integral part of a strong and positive leadership team in a thriving, vibrant independent school. Reporting to the Head of School and working closely with the Board of Trustees, the DFO is responsible for oversight of the school’s finances and campus operations. The successful candidate will have a very strong financial analysis background, highly attuned management skills and the personal skills to work positively with a wide range of individuals. With a yearly operating budget of approximately $19M, the school awards $1.8M in financial assistance each year, and its endowment funds total $17M.
In partnership with the Head of School and other members of the school’s leadership team, the DFO plays a key role in the development and execution of strategy to ensure the finance and operations of the school support its mission and vision. Essential responsibilities include:
- Long range financial planning
- Preparing annual financial statements and the annual operating budget
- Management and support of the business office staff and the Directors of Facilities, Food Services, Health Services and Security.
- Ensuring that the school’s leadership is kept updated regarding the school’s financial position, including identification of emerging issues
- Working, as needed, with the school’s legal counsel to ensure that the school is in compliance in all of its actions and decision.
- Developing and managing efficient financial systems, reporting, and procedures, in cooperation with others, throughout the school
- Proactively exploring efficiencies to improve the school’s financial position
- Communicating effectively and positively with all school constituents.
Interested individuals should submit a current resume and a letter of interest to:
Jane Armstrong or Bill Lyons
Inquiries will be treated confidentially and review of candidate files will begin immediately.