Cape Fear Academy
A learning community committed to discovering and developing individual potential, preparing each student for success in college and life.
Located between the Cape Fear River and Wrightsville Beach, Cape Fear Academy is southeastern North Carolina’s premier PK-12 independent school. Founded in 1967, CFA is a traditional, non-sectarian day school educating 625 students under a recently revised mission that states CFA is a learning community committed to discovering and developing student potential, preparing each student for success in college and life. Well respected for its academic excellence and outstanding college preparatory program, the curriculum emphasizes student-centered learning across academic disciplines. The school’s core values of respect, integrity, resilience and accountability foster an atmosphere of trust and safety within the school community and prepare students for success beyond graduation.
Applications are now invited through March 17, 2017 for the following administrative position:
The Academic Dean is a senior management position responsible for advancing the school through evaluating and strengthening curriculum, faculty, and academic and co-curricular programs. The Academic Dean collaborates with other senior administrators and the Head of School to implement Cape Fear Academy’s mission and carry out the strategic plan.
- Work with Head of School, Division Directors, Department Heads, and teachers to implement a wide variety of academic initiatives
- Lead collaborative curriculum analysis and improvement initiatives
- Assisting Division Directors and Department Heads with annual review of course offerings, scope and sequence, placement testing, and course prerequisites in all departments throughout grades 6-12
- Working with Department Heads to review, select, and implement textbooks and online resources
- Lead monthly meetings of Department Heads to support their work with new program implementation, teacher evaluation and personnel issues, curriculum matters, and academic policy changes
- Update and organize all supporting documents for teacher evaluation process
- Coordinate curriculum-related school-wide and department professional development
- Coordinate standardized testing across all three divisions, including
- Serve as a consultant to teachers in matters of classroom management, teaching methods, and curriculum implementation
- Teach one full-credit course in the Upper or Middle School or the equivalent in Lower School
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Starting Date: July 1, 2017
To Apply: Send a letter of interest, resume, statement of educational philosophy, and three reference letters to Ms. Carole Schuler, Executive Assistant to the Head of School, firstname.lastname@example.org