Library Department Head (Director of Library Services) & Middle School Librarian
Brooklyn Friends School seeks a full-time Middle School Librarian who will also serve as a Director of Library Services under the title, ”PS-12 Library Department Head.”
As PS-12 Library Department Head, responsibilities include:
- Directing and administering PreK-12 Library Media Program based on the school’s mission statement, objectives and goals
- Evaluating and making recommendations to improve the Library Media Program
- Overseeing the development and administration of the annual library budget and NYSLIB funding
- In collaboration with Divisional Administration, supervising and evaluating library faculty and staff in all four divisions including after-school librarians
- Actings as a liaison between the Library Department and the school-wide administration
- Collaborating with Administration and fellow Department Heads to optimize library support and programming across divisions
- Attending Department Head and Academic Affairs meetings
- Coordinating outreach to parents and supporting the Friends of the Library volunteer group
- Maintaining current knowledge of library program advances through participation in professional organizations and professional development
As Middle School Librarian, responsibilities include:
- Developing and teaching library and information skills curriculum for grades 5-8
- Developing special programming, performing readers’ advisory, and fostering an interest in books and a love of literature through booktalks, book clubs, displays, events and activities
- Providing point of need service to students, teachers, administrators and parents
- Meeting and collaborating regularly with middle school teachers to determine student needs and support curricular goals
- Collaborating cross-divisionally to plan and support programming and academic services
- Managing, developing, and maintaining middle school print and online collections
- Managing and maintaining library database OPAC (Destiny) and online databases for middle school division
This is a full time position in the Middle School Library. After school hours are required for divisional, departmental, and all-school meetings. All librarians are expected to be active community members, sharing supervisory duties and general support of the school community.
As the libraries in the Pearl Street building have transitioned into a more integrated PS-8th grade library program in 2016-17, candidates should be comfortable working with a wide range of ages, flexible, and eager to work through whatever challenges the new space and new systems may present.
Requirements for this position include: an MLS/MLIS degree, experience teaching middle school students in a library setting, a strong desire to work with middle school students in a dynamic program, facility with technology, including iPads, Mac systems and other educational technology, knowledge of information literacy and a love of children’s, middle grade and young adult literature. Candidates with academic administrative experience and/or experience in supervision, mentoring, and observation of teachers are desired.
BFS seeks candidates with a strong personal interest in and commitment to issues of equity, inclusion and social justice. People of color and members of other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. Interested applicants should submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org