Heathwood Hall Episcopal School believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to its success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
The new Upper School Latin teacher will be chiefly responsible for teaching Latin courses through level five (AP). In addition, the teacher may be asked to teach semester-long elective courses, such as Mythology.
In addition to being an experienced teacher with deep subject knowledge, the ideal candidate will also be a strong communicator, an active community member, and have a passion for helping students develop as readers, writers, thinkers, and human beings.
- Teach up to five (5) sections of Upper School Latin and associated classes as assigned.
- Serve as an advisor to approximately twelve (12) students each year.
- Participate in parent teacher conferences, and keep parents generally informed about students’ performance in the classroom.
- Participate in community meetings (Morning meeting, chapel, faculty meetings, etc.)
- Participate in winterim, our weeklong experiential learning program each March
- Engage with students and colleagues outside the classroom (e.g. by serving as club sponsor, attending performance or athletic events, etc.)
- Serve on committees as needed
- Seek out professional development opportunities
- Supervise students in the classroom, study hall, and on classroom field trips.
- Must have strong interpersonal communication skills needed with students, parents, and colleagues.
- Daily contact with administrators, colleagues, and other staff.