Innovation Diploma is not a course. We’re a start-up. We are a school within a school. We are School 3.0.
Mount Vernon Presbyterian School’s Innovation Diploma offers an extraordinary opportunity for Upper School students to become lead designers of their own learning and lead innovators in the community. The Innovation Diploma positions students to work alongside established entrepreneurs, community leaders, and proven innovators tackling issues and solving wicked problems. iD students are expected to regularly present and share their work publicly, launch ventures that have significant impact, and serve as leaders and facilitators of design thinking.
As a joint program between the School and the Mount Vernon Institute for Innovation (MVIFI), iDiploma students engage with leaders in various industries to create value through intensive ventures and to build capacity as young innovators. Rather than merely preparing students for the future, iDiploma empowers young leaders to inspire, innovate, and implement high-impact work now. The Director of the program is someone who is determined to empower student learners to engage in that kind of work now.
Reporting directly to the Upper School Head of Learning and Innovation, the Director of Innovation Diploma will also work closely with the Mount Vernon Institute for Innovation and other members of the Upper School team, as well as student learners to help create learning plans that meet the needs of graduation requirements. The Director of iDiploma’s major areas of responsibility include:
Program Manager and Developer
- Manage all programmatic elements for iDiploma: recruiting, admissions, daily facilitation, network liaison, student advising and design brief curation
- Continue to iterate the program elements to best meet the needs of the learners
Project Manager and Facilitator
- Design appropriate guidelines for first year student deliverables
- Provide coaching and input to older students as they create plans for ventures and design briefs including guidance in managing project scope, so that students can reach their fullest potential and be granted numerous opportunities to succeed
- Manage multiple projects with multiple teams across multiple industries at any given time
- Create and foster a team-like atmosphere with mentors and student learners, acting as both the lead mentor and a liaison between mentors and student learners
- Offer students opportunities to pursue passions and contribute meaningfully to the world
New Business Development Coordinator
- Seek new opportunities and connections for student learners to position themselves to creatively solve problems
- Promote and maintain relationships with outside institutions, businesses schools, libraries, civic associations, nonprofits, real estate agencies, etc.
- Track student progress using a combination of PowerSchool narrative and standards-based grading tools, verbal feedback, written feedback on blog posts
- Model exceptional feedback tools and strategies, and hold students to the highest standards
- Incorporate multiple opportunities for a varied network to provide feedback to students
- Develop and iterate tools and best practices for measuring student success and mastery of learning
- Stay informed on current research on innovation, education, and schools that are implementing similar programs
- Attend conferences, un-conferences, summits, and events to both learn and share
- Seek opportunities for learners to learn, practice, and act with the five innovator behavior skills: Questioning, Observing, Networking, Associating and Experimenting
- Oversee field trip requests, and facilitate off-campus trips assuring proper supervision and expectations
- Work with College Counseling to effectively capture, measure, and report on the overall program as well as individual student progress
- Manage and participate in recruitment and admissions activities for the program
- Serve as a key member of the admissions team for the program (overseeing applications, recruitment, and student/parent interest)
- Communicate with parents about progress, concerns, and successes
- Create opportunities for faculty to work with and learn from the work of iDiploma
- Storytell the iDiploma journey through MVIFI website and our Partnerships team