. (Possibility of full-time if combined with teaching duties.)
Escuela Bilingüe Internacional (EBI) is an independent co-educational day school located in the Rockridge neighborhood of Oakland and Triangle neighborhood of Emeryville, of the San Francisco Bay Area. The school offers a Spanish-English dual language program, extending from Pre-Kindergarten through 8th Grade. EBI opened its doors in September 2006, with Pre-Kinder and Kindergarten.
EBI’s progressive education program is based on a child-centered, constructivist, inquiry-based approach. EBI is authorized by the International Baccalaureate (IB) to offer the Primary Years Programme (PYP) and the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP).
The community of EBI, including the faculty and staff, is a unique and valuable asset to the school. It is with this in mind that, in addition to specific responsibilities, it is essential that all EBI employees demonstrate the following:
- Personal alignment with EBI and IB missions;
- Value for bilingualism, educational excellence, diversity, international mindedness and the cultivation of character;
- Enjoyment working in a diverse, international and collaborative school environment;
- Effective listening, speaking, writing and presenting skills in Spanish and/or English, as required;
- A positive attitude and a deep sense of professionalism.
Specific responsibilities include:
High School Placement Counselor
- Visit Bay Area high schools and forge personal connection with admissions directors at independent and parochial schools.
- Plan and lead group meetings for middle school families of eighth graders to support them in understanding the high-school admissions process.
- Provide differentiated support to middle school families applying to high school by collaboratively creating a plan with each family that will meet their individual aspirations for high school options.
- Support students in the application process, including getting organized, writing essays and developing interview skills.
- Set up visits to EBI from high-school admissions directors to present their programs.
- Keep families up to date with all requirements and deadlines.
- Write letters of recommendation for students applying to independent schools.
- Coordinate with test-prep company to provide lessons on our site.
- Other duties as assigned.
Student Activities Coordinator
- Organize middle school retreat at start of year.
- Serve as the faculty advisor for EBI middle school student council.
- Support student council in planning and hosting one EBI dance per year.
- Organize chaperones -- and be a chaperone -- for all dances we attend.
- Support music and art teachers in planning and putting on art show / music show.
- Support existing student clubs and help facilitate creation of new clubs.
- Coordinate with director of athletics to lend support for school teams.
- Help to plan and carry out graduation ceremony for eighth graders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Complete paperwork, duties, and assignments accurately and punctually.
- Demonstrate professional demeanor and maintain appropriate boundaries.
- Be ethical and above-board, use good judgment, and maintain confidentiality with student records.
- Collaborate with colleagues to support student achievement and student well being.