Brandon Hall School seeks an experienced and dynamic Computer Science Teacher for the 2017-18 school year. The full-time position will include teaching responsibilities in a variety of computer science and technology classes which may include: Introduction to Computer Science, Computer Fundamentals, AP Computer Science Principles, and Digital Design.
The ideal candidate will have computer science teaching experience and a strong desire to contribute to school life beyond the classroom. The ideal candidate would also be willing to develop additional clubs and co-curricular opportunities for robotics, coding, game design, and digital literacy and citizenship.
Job Title: Computer Science Teacher
Reports To: Dean of Faculty
Employment Status: Full-Time
- Bachelor's degree required
- Master's degree and/or 3+ years teaching experience strongly preferred
- Industry experience will also be considered
General Teaching Duties and Responsibilities:
Curriculum and Instruction:
- Create and implement lesson plans in accordance with course curriculum and the Brandon Hall Performance Standards (BHPS); written evidence of preparation is required.
- Use a variety of instructional techniques to enhance student learning and adapt the curriculum to meet the needs of students with varying intellectual abilities.
- Work with department chair and other faculty members to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods.
- Use instructional technologies to strengthen the teaching and learning process in accordance with ISTE Teacher Standards and Technology Office policies.
- Design lessons and projects that foster an interactive learning environment centered around essential questions, specific and timely feedback, and student-produced content.
- Facilitate and inspire highly effective 21st Century Skills in each student, such as communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity through the use of clearly defined rubrics, discussion, and reflection.
- Uphold and adhere to all school policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean of Faculty, Dean of Academics, and/or Head of School.
Student Growth and Development:
- Conduct ongoing formative assessments of student understanding in order to provide timely feedback to students and guide instruction.
- Help students develop appropriate study methods and habits.
- Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities through faculty sponsorship or as assigned.
- Be a positive role model for students and support the mission of Brandon Hall School.
- Create and cultivate a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students
- Manage student behavior through a shared understanding of fair and equitable class rules, procedures, and consequences.
- Participate in faculty development activities to improve the craft of teaching; including required faculty in-service and on-campus workshops and independent opportunities.
- Establish and reflect on individual teacher goals and uphold proficient levels of practice in the areas of curriculum and instruction within the Faculty Evaluation Framework.
- Attend and participate in monthly faculty meetings and serve on faculty and staff committees.
- Use appropriate oral and written communication with colleagues, students, parents, and the school community in accordance with school policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain regular communication with parents regarding positive student progress and growth opportunities.
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and the school community.
Computer Science Teaching Requirements:
- Effectively teach, implement, and further develop the computer science curriculum, lesson plans and instructional activities
- Collaborate with academic and technology school leaders to help develop and adapt computer science courses to be taught in subsequent years
- Knowledge of topics such as programming, web development, problem solving, algorithms, data structures, and modeling and simulation through the context of applications and projects (e.g. games, mobile apps, artificial intelligence, etc.)
- Utilize design lab and technology resources to engage students and create authentic learning experiences
- Build community and corporate relationships to support industry involvement
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School, Dean of Faculty, Dean of Academics and Mathematics Department Chair
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references via our online application.
Brandon Hall School is an equal opportunity employer.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.