Teaching in the middle school at Graland is a multi-faceted experience. We start with the fundamental belief that teaching middle school students is about building relationships. From here, teachers are responsible for fostering in students a love of learning and the development of skills necessary to be successful. Math, English, science, and history teachers teach one grade level and form that grade's MESH team, whose charge is to create continuity in students' experiences, including developing central themes and interdisciplinary units, common expectations for student work and behavior, the integration of technology, and the management of students' academic and social well being. The MESH team also serves as advisors within their respective grade levels. Foreign Language and Visual and Performing Arts teachers work with a range of grade levels and are members of departmental teams. They may serve as advisors as well. The middle school experience at Graland calls for teachers to recognize that working with this age group requires a variety roles and a high level of energy and enthusiasm from its staff.
About this Position
Graland follows the Math in Focus curriculum covering concepts including, but not limited to, multiplying and dividing fractions, statistics, algebraic equations and inequalities, and geometric construction.
Professional and Personal Qualities
- Bachelor’s degree; master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of teaching experience; experience with middle school students preferred
- Excellent communication skills ?
- Be a collaborative and supportive member of the Graland community who...
- Models caring, respect, patience, and appreciation of differences.
- Provides a safe environment for students.
- Upholds school, employee and family confidentiality.
- Represents school in position and in community – understands voice of school.
- Participates in effective communication that is responsible, descriptive, and nonjudgmental.
- Adheres to all school policies and procedures.
- As needed offers support during after-hours.
- Likes to work with people and create solutions.