Bosque School seeks an experienced educator to lead its middle school of 220 students and 32 faculty members beginning with the 2017-2018 academic year. Successful candidates will have a minimum of three to five years in a significant leadership position at the middle school level and will bring wisdom, insight, and warmth to the position. The Middle School Head reports directly to the Assistant Head of School for Teaching and Learning and works closely with both the school’s senior administrative leadership team, academic leadership team, and a middle school team of thoughtful and experienced grade-level team leaders. Now in its 22st year, Bosque School is a vibrant learning community in which teachers are honored as educational leaders and students are believed to have enormous intellectual and creative capacity. The school has a strong commitment to an academically challenging curriculum that includes comprehensive arts education, field-based environmental education, and community-wide service learning. We seek a school leader committed to progressive education, diversity and equity work, and – most of all – young people ages 11-14.
- Maintain congruency between the mission statement and division work
- Act as the educational leader of the division
- Function as the chief articulator of the division’s programs, expectations, behavioral guidelines, and other information necessary to ensure that all constituencies are fully informed
- Be a visible presence in all areas of the school and attend school functions
- Be knowledgeable and able to articulate advances and trends in pedagogy and education
- Serve as a consultant to teachers in matters of classroom management, teaching methods and general school procedures
- Aware of the educational, physical, social and psychological needs of the school community, and develop plans for meeting those needs
Responsibilities to Manage:
Curriculum & Program
- Review and evaluate academic programs, including vertical and horizontal alignment and flow
- Work with Assistant Head of School for Teaching & Learning on review and evaluation of divisional programming
- Implement division-based mission and strategic planning initiatives
- Oversee Advisory Curriculum implementation
- Analyze ERB data and report to Assistant Head of School for Teaching & Learning
- Oversee Aftercare Program and staff (Director of Aftercare Services)
- Supervise middle school Winterim co-director and program and liaise with upper school division head on whole school Winterim decisions.
- Serve on Standing Committee on Program Excellence (SCOPE).
- Serve on Leadership Team
- Provide divisional reports to the Board of Trustees, as needed
- Review grade-level Overnights/Retreats plans
- Coordinate the 8th Grade Ceremony
- Schedule, support, and run Morning Meetings
- Lead implementation and topic selection for Parental Education with Directors of Student Services and Upper School Head
- Conduct regular meetings with faculty that will deal both with routine school matters and with the stimulating exchange of ideas on issues of educational/philosophical interest and concern
- Support student athletic experience with the Director of Athletics
- Observe, supervise, and help evaluate faculty in conjunction with Assistant Head of School for Teaching & Learning and Department Leaders
- Advise the Assistant Head of School and the Director of the Sofia Center on professional development needs
- Oversee and support the leadership development of grade-level Team Leaders; run bi-monthly team leader meetings
- Leads search committees for hiring, including inviting members to join the committee, reviewing applicant materials, making the hire recommendation to the Assistant Head of School for approval, and making the offer to the candidate for hire.
- Works with Assistant Head of School and Department Leaders on faculty intervention protocols and formal faculty intervention communication.
- Review and confirm Department Leader faculty assignments recommendations.
- Consistently and clearly communicate with division constituents including maintaining monthly blog (or something similar)
- Attend Admission Events
- Review admissions files with Learning Support Team
- Review the schedule and its implementation
- Review class enrollment
- Enforce major disciplinary processes and support Team Leaders with minor infractions
- Maintain budgets for the Division
- Manage teacher absences and approve time off requests
Oversees: Learning Specialists, MS Faculty, Team Leaders, MS Administrative Assistants, MS Director of Student Development
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, statement of educational philosophy, and five references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. These materials should address the reason for interest in the position, professional goals, and relevant education and experiences. The deadline for submission of application materials is Friday, March 17, 2017. Please see website www.bosqueschool.org/employment_opportunities for additional information.