Middle School Spanish Teacher
Effective Fall 2017
Columbus School for Girls (CSG) is an independent day school in Columbus, Ohio, founded in 1898, serving diverse students in grades pre-k through grade 12. CSG empowers girls to discover their distinct potential as learners and leaders. As a leader in the education of girls and young women, it is a vibrant community of more than 565 students, 135 faculty and staff, and 2,500 active alumnae. CSG’s 8-acre academic campus in the beautiful Bexley neighborhood is a ten-minute drive from downtown Columbus, a city bustling with artistic, civic, and shopping experiences. Having just completed a strategic plan to guide the School’s direction over the next several years, CSG offers an exceptional, student-centered academic experience with strong offerings in the arts, an impressive athletic program, and a health and wellness curriculum that is unique in Central Ohio. This combination of academics and skills ensures that CSG students will be well prepared for life beyond CSG.
Columbus School for Girls seeks to hire an energetic and creative full-time Middle School Spanish teacher to begin in the 2017-2018 academic year. CSG offers a competitive salary, benefits, and professional opportunities and welcomes candidates who add to the racial, cultural, religious, and gender diversity of the school community.
Major Functions and Responsibilities:
- Teach Spanish Classes to Forms VI, VII and VIII (Grades 6,7 and 8).
- Collaborate regularly with the other Middle School Spanish Teacher and in partnership with the Lower School and Upper School Spanish teachers to ensure a cohesive Spanish curriculum.
- Create a course that strives to make each class an immersive experience. The teacher will primarily use the target language for instruction and design a student-centered course.
- The focus will be on improving the language skills of the students while also incorporating Hispanic culture, history and literature.
- Lead an advisory group.
- Participate actively in the life of the school, including leading clubs and/or activities, chaperoning school trips, and possibly coaching.
Experience, Characteristics, Qualities:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Spanish although a Master’s degree is
- Native or near native fluency in Spanish.
- Strong candidates will have at least three years of experience teaching Spanish preferably at an independent school.
- An understanding of the value of an all-girls education and the eagerness to learn about the best ways to help young women of promise to reach their full potential as learners and leaders.
- Excellent communication skills, a genuine appreciation of adolescents, a sense of humor, and the ability to work well within a diverse, collaborative environment.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter outlining their interest in and qualifications for this specific position and a resume in a single Word document to: Diane Mosher, Hiring Coordinator, Columbus School for Girls, 65 S. Drexel Ave., Columbus, Ohio 43209; fax: (614) 252-0571; or email email@example.com.
Please put Middle School Spanish Search in the subject line.
Columbus School for Girls is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other status protected by law.