Exciting Opportunity for an Extraordinary Teacher
A Crofton House education offers extraordinary possibilities. Each girl comes to the school to pursue the possibilities of a CHS education. She has extraordinary potential and embraces her complete education. As a graduate, she takes the extraordinary into the world, fulfilling the promise of her Crofton House experience. We inspire girls to discover and pursue their personal excellence. At Crofton House School, we value courage, creativity and citizenship.
2017 - 2018 School Year
Teacher & Innovation Strategist, Design and Fabrication (JK - 12)
Full-Time - Continuing Contract
Crofton House School is putting the finishing touches on two new spaces: The Ideation Space and Fabrication Lab. These spaces have been created to support all students in exploring bringing their ideas to life and support innovative problem solving. Incorporated into the Creative Arts Center, the spaces will promote collaborative, student-centered and inquiry-based learning as outlined in the current strategic plan, Beyond Buildings: Extraordinary Possibilities.
You are a teacher, a facilitator and a mentor. As a creative and innovative educator, you see possibilities within the curriculum that offer opportunities to a student to develop her ideas and learning through design thinking processes. You work collaboratively with teachers of all grades and disciplines in the planning, implementation and assessment of student engagement in the design process. You take the initiative to bring classes into the spaces and are able to build connections and assist all teachers in taking advantage of this space. You optimize the use of the technology, materials and equipment available to students and teachers. The spaces you manage (Ideation Space and Fabrication Lab) are organized, well maintained and fully stocked at all times. Teachers and students find you to be approachable, available, knowledgeable, genuine and supportive. You demonstrate an understanding of the importance of parents as partners in their daughter’s education by maintaining open and collaborative relationships with the parent community. As a lifelong learner, you demonstrate a commitment to actively seek professional development. You participate actively in the life of the school.
- Oversee and maintain the spaces: The Ideation Space and The Fabrication Lab
- Build relationships with teachers in both the Junior and Senior Schools
- Work collaboratively with teachers in both the Junior and Senior Schools to plan, develop, implement, and assess student design thinking, ideas, and fabrication.
- Seek ways to bring a student-centered, inquiry-based and collaborative approach to the delivery of the B.C. curriculum in the context of ‘design’ spaces
- Set annual professional goals
- Manage the budget related to the materials in these spaces
- Be an active and positive participant in the co-curricular program
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience:
- Relevant university qualifications preferably at the graduate level (e.g. Bachelor of Education plus Bachelor of Art or equivalent)
- C. Ministry of Education Teaching Certificate
- Experience in an independent school is an asset
- Minimum of 3 years of experience teaching
- Experience working with learners from grade 1-12 is an asset
- Experience leading an educational program or initiative
- A comprehensive understanding of current educational practices outlined in the BC Ministry of Education documents
- Experience with design fabrication tools is an asset
- An understanding of design thinking
- A passion for tinkering and making
- Knowledge of the current research on girls and learning
- An ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, time-management, and communication skills
- A commitment toward continued professional development and growth
- Budgetary experience an asset
- Energy, commitment and a readiness to participate in the co-curricular program
Employment and Application Details:
The appointment is effective September 2017 (orientation on August 28, 2017). We offer competitive compensation, an extensive benefits program including participation in the Crofton House Pension Plan (RRSP), and generous support for professional, educational and leadership development. Please note that applicants must be able to legally work in Canada.
Apply online at www.croftonhouse.ca/careers by March 26, 2017.
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls please.
For more information, please visit www.croftonhouse.ca