Exciting Opportunity for an Extraordinary Educator
A Crofton House education offers extraordinary possibilities. Each girl comes to the school to pursue the possibilities of a CHS education. She has extraordinary potential and embraces her complete education. As a graduate, she takes the extraordinary into the world, fulfilling the promise of her Crofton House experience. We inspire girls to discover and pursue their personal excellence. At Crofton House School, we value courage, creativity and citizenship.
2017 - 2018 School Year
Department Head, Languages, Senior School
Full-time - Continuing Contract
The Languages Department at Crofton House School is distinguished by extraordinary teachers who provide a collaborative, inquiry-based, and student-centered approach to the study of French, Spanish and Mandarin. Through this program, students develop strong language, critical thinking and problem-solving skills. The teaching facilities are well equipped and offer bright and technology rich environments.
As a visionary and creative educational leader, you inspire and mentor teachers of French, Spanish and Mandarin Language in the planning, implementation and assessment of student learning. You collaborate with other department heads and program coordinators in the spirit of improvement based on the question: “what can we do together to improve the practice of teaching at Crofton House School?” As a teacher, you are confident in curriculum development and demonstrate an approach to teaching that is reflective of the way in which girls learn. You optimize the use of the technology available to you. You support all learners with diverse strategies and approaches and bring innovative solutions to learning challenges experienced by students. Your classes are student-centered and dynamic. Students find you to be approachable, available, knowledgeable, genuine and supportive. You are energized by what you do. You understand the importance of parents as partners in their daughter’s education by maintaining open and collaborative relationships with the parent community. As a lifelong learner, you demonstrate a commitment to actively seeking professional development. You participate actively in the life of the school.
- Oversee the development and implementation of courses within the languages department in alignment with the BC Ministry of Education and AP Program
- Keep abreast of new curriculum development and innovation including IT
- Oversee departmental assessment practices in keeping with the school’s stated standards
- Facilitate professional development for the department and its members
- Set annual professional and department goals
- Foster collegiality and collaborative work within the department and beyond the department
- Participate in the assessment of teachers within the department
- Manage departmental budget
- Participate in the recruitment and interview process for new teachers within the department
- As a member of the academic leadership team, work collaboratively to implement program development
- Play an active role in the co-curricular program
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience:
- Relevant university qualifications preferably at the graduate level (e.g. Bachelor of Education plus Bachelor of Art or equivalent)
- C. Ministry of Education Certificate
- Experience in an independent school an asset
- Minimum of 5 – 10 years of experience teaching languages at the high school level
- Experience leading an educational program or initiative
- A comprehensive understanding of current educational practices outlined in the BC Ministry of Education documents
- Knowledge of differing learning needs and a toolbox of strategies for facilitating student success in the study of languages
- Knowledge of the current research on girls and learning
- An ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, time-management and communication skills
- A commitment toward continued professional development and growth
- Budgetary experience an asset
- Energy, commitment and a readiness to participate in the co-curricular program the diverse life of the school community
Employment and Application Details:
The appointment is effective September 2017 (orientation on August 28, 2017). We offer competitive compensation, an extensive benefits program including participation in the Crofton House Pension Plan (RRSP), and generous support for professional, educational and leadership development. Please note that applicants must be able to legally work in Canada.
Apply online at www.croftonhouse.ca/careers by March 26, 2017.
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls please.
For more information, please visit www.croftonhouse.ca