Founded in 1908, Drew School is an independent, urban high school in San Francisco enrolling 280 students in grades 9 through 12. Drew engages each student in a process of intellectual discovery to develop an individual voice, the confidence to express it, and the empathy to understand its impact. Our school community is centered on experienced, dedicated, and passionate faculty, and engaged, committed students. Drew combines its academically-rigorous curriculum with a focus on experiential learning, global awareness, local community involvement, citizenship, and support of individual talents and strengths. More information about Drew is available on our website: www.drewschool.org.
Drew School is looking to fill the English Department Chair position for the 2017-2018 school year. The department chair will teach four classes and is the instructional leader of the department. We are looking for someone who is a practitioner of student-centered, hands-on learning who can bring department members together to collaborate on aligning curriculum and instruction.
Department Chair Duties and Responsibilities
- Set the agenda and lead department meetings
- Update the scope and sequencing of the curriculum
- Participate in department chairs’ meetings
- Partner with the Dean of Faculty in observing classes, evaluating department members, and determining professional development needs for department members
- Partner with the Academic Dean to implement curricular goals
- Manage the department budget
Duties and Responsibilities Outside of the Department
- Lead Experiential Electives
- Advise a student advising group
- Lead an approved Drew Education for Active Lifelong Learning (DEALL) week experience
- Lead or actively participate in a student club activity
- Chair or actively participate in at least one faculty committee
- Has a commitment to the mission of the school
- Has a Bachelor’s degree minimum in the discipline
- Has experience in an independent school setting
- Has experience working with students with learning differences
- Enjoys working with teenagers
- Is self-reflective and growth-minded
- Has the ability to collaborate with adults and students
- Is culturally competent and a practitioner of equity and inclusion
- Has the ability to maintain standards of professionalism
Please submit a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.
Drew School offers a competitive compensation package. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourage candidates of color and candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Drew School of San Francisco admits students of any race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national and ethnic origin, or handicap to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities of the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, scholarship programs, athletic and other school administered programs.