Ravenscroft School seeks an Assistant Head of Lower School who has effective interpersonal communication skills and who can collaborate with all members of the community. He or she should possess great warmth and a passion for facilitating and encouraging personal responsibility, an inclusive mindset and a commitment to global education. Candidates must exhibit excellent communication skills and genuine affections for young children and their families.
The Assistant Head of Lower School will support a school setting committed to academic excellence and our Lead From Here framework where we are learning to lead self, work with others and change our world. The Assistant Head of Lower School’s duties and responsibilities require confidentiality as well as a high degree of knowledge and a collaborative skill set.
The Assistant Head will be responsible for the day to day administration of the Lower School, approximately 400 students and over 60 teachers, assistants, special area teachers. Candidates must support the school’s core values.
The Assistant Head of Lower School will serve as member of the Lower School Leadership Team and reports to the Head of Lower School. He or she will work in partnership with the Head of Lower School to promote the school’s statement of mission and philosophy; providing vision, organization, and follow-up to lead and manage the faculty, staff, and students. The Assistant Head of Lower School will serve as an educational leader in daily operation, academic programs, and behavioral expectations. They will provide support to and stand in for the Head of Lower School when necessary in the daily operation of or as a representative of the division to any of its constituencies. The Assistant Head of Lower School will assist the Head of Lower School in ensuring that the educational standards required by the School and its accrediting agencies are met.
Candidates must hold advanced degrees in their academic fields and have at least five years of experience in education. Candidates with experience in educational leadership, curriculum design and implementation, STEM+, enrollment management, student support plans, and early childhood education are preferred.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
- serve as a Lower School Department Chair and assist with the oversight of PK-5th grade curriculum and instruction;
- engage with and support faculty on all aspects of growth and evaluation process including, but not limited to: professional growth plans, classroom observations, reflection tools, holistic evaluations, end of year letters, and professional development;
- coordinate and facilitate responsibilities and conversations related to student behavior and Honor Code with teachers, students, and parents;
- organize and lead, in partnership with Counselor and Curriculum and Instruction Specialist, standardized testing and all tasks associated with this process;
- assist with the development and management of master schedule;
- participate in the interview and hiring process of new faculty and staff;
- assist in the review and revision of Lower School Handbook and other policies and procedures;
- serve as a member of the Lower School Student Assistance Team that monitors and supports students with academic and/or behavior concerns;
- serve on school-wide committees including, but not limited to: Admissions Committee, Academic Committee, Faculty Growth and Evaluation Committee, Retention Efforts Committee;
- lead daily operation, communication, and management related to the following items: Lower School Master Calendar, carpool, dining hall, clubs, performances and special events, extracurricular activities (Battle of the Books, Science Olympiad, etc.), Buddy Teachers, morning announcements, Safety Assistants, New Student Orientation, and transition activities and events.