St. John’s Prep seeks a committed writing coach who is experienced in working with students in grades 6 through 12. The position will report to the Coordinator of the Writing Center. This is a part-time position; candidates must be available to work 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
The Writing Center is based in the Center for Learning and Academic Success (CLAS). The center is located in the Student Leadership and Learning Commons in the A.E. Studzinski Library on the Prep campus. This area is home to the Office for Student Life, the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Community Development, the Student Commons, Student Publications, and the Information Services Department. More information about the Center for Learning and Academic Success can be found at www.stjohnsprep.org/CLAS.
Specifically, the writing coach will:
- Work one-on-one with students to assist them with any stage of the writing process, including brainstorming, planning, drafting and revising.
- Maintain accurate records of coaching sessions and communicate with CLAS learning coaches, where necessary.
- Visit academic classrooms to provide writing guidance to students, as requested.
- Implement strategies to assist students with diverse learning styles.
- Collaborate with the coordinator to develop appropriate center programming, including workshops and webinars on specific aspects of writing.
- Model a commitment to learning and professional growth.
- Relate to and communicate effectively with students, parents, faculty and staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Coordinator of the Writing Center.
All members of the faculty and staff are expected to give witness to our mission and identity as an inclusive, Catholic, Xaverian Brothers Sponsored School for young men. In concert with faculty and staff responsibilities, St. John’s encourages all members of the faculty to be involved in and to help enhance the life of the school, which includes a wide range of co-curricular, intramural and interscholastic programs.